Let’s walk along the streets of ancient Chernihiv
Chernihiv is a city located in northern Ukraine, the administrative center of Chernihiv region (the northernmost regional center of the country).
It is one of the oldest cities in Europe (first mentioned in chronicles in 907). Chernihiv is the historic center of the Left-Bank Ukraine. It was one of the largest towns in the ancient Russian state.
Transfiguration Cathedral (the first half of the 11th century) – the oldest preserved monument of ancient Russian architecture
The motto of the city is “Chernihiv – the city of legends.” And this is true because fortunately a lot of ancient churches, cathedrals, and other historical and architectural monuments have been preserved.
They are the witnesses of more than a thousand years of history of Chernihiv. The photos were taken by Maxim Yashin.
Boris and Gleb Cathedral (1120-1123)
The Collegium (1700)
Taras Shevchenko monument
Catherine’s Cathedral (1715)
St. Paraskeva Church (the end of the 12th – the beginning of the 13th century)
Bogdan Khmelnitsky monument
Chernihiv Music and Drama Theater named after Taras Shevchenko
The movie theater named after Schors
Chernihiv region administration
The intersection of Mir Avenue and Transfiguration Street
Trinity Monastery. Holy Trinity Cathedral (1695)
The belfry (1775)
The view from the belfry
Elias Church (the 12th century) and the bell tower
Tags: Chernihiv city