CAT | Architecture
Olesko Castle is an architectural monument of the 14th-17th centuries, located near the village of Olesko in the Bussky district of the Lviv region. John III Sobieski, one of the most notable monarchs of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, was born here.
It is one of the oldest buildings in Galicia. The castle was built at the crossroads of ancient trade routes from Wallachia and Hungary to Volyn, and was the key to this land. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Tags: Lviv oblast
Ancient Nizkinitsky Assumption Monastery (1643) is situated on a high hill on the outskirts of the town of Novovolynsk, in the former village of Nizkinichi, in the Volyn region.
The crypt under the Church of the Assumption (1653), the main temple of the monastery, houses the remains of its founder, the famous statesman, voivode of Kyiv and patron of the Orthodox Church Adam Kisiel. Nizkinitsky Assumption Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
The fortress in Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi (known as Akkerman fortress until 1944) is one of the best preserved in Ukraine monuments of history and defensive architecture of the 13th-15th centuries, the largest fortress in Eastern Europe.
The total area of the fortress is about 9 hectares. It stands on the rocky shore of the Dniester estuary and has the form of an irregular polygon. Photos by: Taras Kashchak.
Truskavets is a town and spa resort located in the Lviv region, in the foothills of the Ukrainian Carpathians, 93 km southwest of Lviv. It is one of the oldest spa resorts in the world (since 1827) that became famous for its mineral springs and rehabilitation centers.
Today, there is a number of sanatoriums, clinics, baths, and small private guest houses in the town. Photos by: neo7777vitaha.
Tags: Truskavets city
Pylypets is a village with a population of 1.4 thousand people located in Mizhgirya district of the Zakarpattia region, about 120 km east of Uzhhorod. First of all this place is known as a ski resort.
However, the village has some other attractions. Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built of spruce boards presumably in 1759-1762, is one of them.
Berdychiv is a historic city located in the Zhytomyr region, 43 km south of Zhytomyr. The main attraction of the city is the Monastery of the Discalced Carmelites – a majestic architectural complex with defensive walls, towers and a Catholic church in the Baroque style.
Originally it was a castle of the Tyszkiewicz family who owned this land since the 14th century. In 1630, the governor J. Tyszkiewicz gave the castle to the Catholic Order of Discalced Carmelites after his miraculous rescue from the Tatar captivity. Construction of the monastery lasted from 1634 to 1642. Photos by: camrador.
Turylche, a village with a population of about 800 people located in Borshchiv district of the Ternopil region, is known for its beautiful and majestic Roman Catholic cathedral, built in 1871 and abandoned during the Second World War.
Today, the Roman Catholic Church of St. John Nepomuk, also known as Peter and Paul Church, is not in the best condition, but the local Greek-Catholic community intends to restore it. Turylche on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Church of St. Nicholas, built in the 17th century, is the main attraction of the village of Chornoholova located in Velykobereznyansky district of the Zakarpattia region.
St. Vladimir Patriarchal Cathedral (1862-1882) is an Orthodox cathedral located in Kyiv (Taras Shevchenko Boulevard, 20). It is a monument of neo-Byzantine architecture topped with seven domes.
The leading artists of the Russian Empire worked on the decoration of the cathedral. Today, it is the main temple of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Tags: Kiev city
The main attraction of Vyshka village, located in Velykyi Bereznyi district of the Zakarpattia region, is an old wooden church of the Archangel Michael.
This church, an architectural monument of national importance, was built approximately in 1700. At the end of the 20th century, the roof of the church was covered with iron plates, which greatly changed its original appearance. Vyshka village on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.