TAG | church
St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Kyiv.
The monastery includes the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael in the Ukrainian Baroque style (demolished in the 1930s and rebuilt in 1997-1998), the refectory with the Church of St. John the Divine (1713) and the bell tower (1716-1719). Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
St. Andrew’s Church, located on St. Andrew’s Hill in Kyiv, is an Orthodox church named after Andrew the Apostle and built in the Baroque style by the architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli in 1754.
The church stands on the steep right bank of the Dnieper River, overlooking the historical part of Kyiv – Podil. St. Andrew’s Descent that goes down from the church connects the upper and the lower parts of the city. This is one of the most interesting and picturesque places in Kyiv. Photos by: Aleksey Novik.
St. Cyril Church in Kyiv, built in the mid-12th century, is one of the oldest surviving churches on the former territory of the ancient state of Kievan Rus. St. Cyril Monastery is located to the north-west of the historic center of ancient Kyiv (Oleny Telihy Street, 12).
After the collapse of Kievan Rus, the church was repeatedly repaired and rebuilt. Four domes on the sides were completed in the 17th century. In 1734, after a fire, St. Cyril’s Church was reconstructed in the Ukrainian Baroque style. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Kolentsi is a small village with a population of about 500 people located in Ivankivsky district of the Kyiv region, on the left bank of the Teteriv River.
The wooden Greek-Catholic church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit is an architectural monument of the 18th century located in the village of Kolochava in Mizhgirya district of the Zakarpattia region.
The church in Baroque style was built of spruce boards by the master Ferenc Tekke in 1795. Since 1953, this beautiful building was used as a museum of atheism. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Ancient Nizkinitsky Assumption Monastery (1643) is situated on a high hill on the outskirts of the town of Novovolynsk, in the former village of Nizkinichi, in the Volyn region.
The crypt under the Church of the Assumption (1653), the main temple of the monastery, houses the remains of its founder, the famous statesman, voivode of Kyiv and patron of the Orthodox Church Adam Kisiel. Nizkinitsky Assumption Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Murafa is a village with a population of about 2,700 people located in Shargorod district of the Vinnytsia region.
The main attraction of the village is the Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary founded by the monks Dominicans in 1624.
Pidhirtsi Castle, a well-preserved Renaissance palace surrounded by fortifications, is located in the east of the Lviv region in the village of Pidhirtsi.
Roman Catholic Church of the Exaltation and St. Joseph in the Baroque style was built near the palace in 1752-1766. From the church to the castle there is a 300-meter linden alley. Pidhirtsi on Google Maps. Pictures from the video by vnebo.com.ua
Pylypets is a village with a population of 1.4 thousand people located in Mizhgirya district of the Zakarpattia region, about 120 km east of Uzhhorod. First of all this place is known as a ski resort.
However, the village has some other attractions. Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built of spruce boards presumably in 1759-1762, is one of them.
Turylche, a village with a population of about 800 people located in Borshchiv district of the Ternopil region, is known for its beautiful and majestic Roman Catholic cathedral, built in 1871 and abandoned during the Second World War.
Today, the Roman Catholic Church of St. John Nepomuk, also known as Peter and Paul Church, is not in the best condition, but the local Greek-Catholic community intends to restore it. Turylche on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.