According to archaeological data, it was founded in the second half of the 12th century. First documentary reference dates from 1408. It was a town in the Polish-Lithuanian kingdom and the chief center of the area known as Bukovina.
In the middle of the 13th century, it was conquered by Moldavian princedom. In the 30s of the 16th century, the town passed first to the Turks, and, in 1774, to Austria.
More Historical Facts…
In 1848, under the influence of revolutionary events, demonstrations of protest took place in Chernivtsi. In 1918, the Communist Party of Bukovina was founded and the same year the region was conquered by Romania.
In 1940, Chernivtsi and northern Bukovina became the part of the Ukrainian SSR of the Soviet Union. Since 1940, the city was the center of Chernivtsi region.
After the area was joined to the USSR, it started to be industrialized, machine-building and chemical plants were constructed. Several large gadget-making plants were created, mainly of defense industry.
At the beginning of independent Ukraine, it was the city where one of the largest in Eastern Europe wholesale market was opened.
The city is located in temperate zone, the climate is of moderate continental type, with mild winters and warm summers.
Average temperature is 7,9 degrees C above zero, it is the lowest (4,9 degrees C below zero) in January and the highest in July (18,7 degrees C above zero).
It is a historical center of Bukovina and, along with Lviv, is considered the cultural center of the western Ukraine.
The city is located close to the Carpathians, on the border between the Carpathians and East-European lowland. Chernivtsi is spread on terraces of the Prut River meadow, on the height of 100-250 meters above sea level.
For centuries, it has been formed as a town with unique architecture of various styles and with rich cultural heritage. The town design with its considerable relief differences creates variety of landscapes. The skyline is complicated by various confessions churches and the clock tower of the town hall.
Ancient twisting streets broken by tight turns stretch to the mountains from the Prut River. On gentle terraces they form a dense street net which is cut by wide highways heading for the Central square of the city.
The tour round the old town of Austrian period gives a chance to get acquainted with architectural ensembles of the 19th - early 20th centuries.
Chernivtsi is one of the cities in Ukraine which is considered an architectural pearl of the country.
602 monuments of architecture in historical part of the city are on the list of state registration, 25 of them are of national importance. Historical constructions of the old town present almost untouched ensemble of the 19th-20th centuries.
Chernivtsi central square
Chernivtsi railway station
Chernivtsi places of interest
The city is an important cultural center of Ukraine. It has such institutions as Chernivtsi National University, Doctors’ Training Institute, the Institute of social and economic problems of foreign countries and others.
Famous Ukrainian writer and essayist Ivan Franko graduated the local university in 1891. It is Chernivtsi where famous Soviet singers D.Gnatyuk and S.Rotaru started their careers.
St. Nicholas Cathedral (“The Drunk Church”). The church was built on the model of the Romanian masterpiece of medieval architecture - the royal church of the middle of the 14th century in Curtea de Arges. For the original “twisted” domes the church is called “drunk”. Russkaya Street, 35. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00.
Jesuit Church. A beautiful example of the neo-Gothic style. It is decided to return the church to the Catholic community of the city. Bakhrushina Street, 2.
Armenian Church. The architecture of the church combines various features of Romanesque, Byzantine and Gothic styles. Since 1992, its acoustic hall is used for classical concerts and chamber music. Ukrainskaya Street, 30.
Cathedral of the Holy Spirit. The cathedral is built on the model of St. Isaac’s Cathedral in St. Petersburg in the neo-Renaissance style. In 1989, it was returned to local Orthodox community. Glavnaya Street, 85.
Exaltation Church. In the Soviet era, it was one of the few open Catholic churches in the Soviet Union, thus the interiors are fully preserved. Beethoven Street, 2.
St. Nicholas Church. This wooden church is the oldest building in the city built in the typical Bukovina (so-called khatna) style. Sahaidachny Street, 87.
Church of St. Paraskeva. The first stone Orthodox church in Chernivtsi. Zankovetska Str., 24.
Local History Museum. The museum has unique collection of Slavonic literature, numismatic collection, exhibition of weapons of the 18th-19th centuries, icons of the 16th-18th centuries, works of Bukovina artists. Kobylyanska Street, 28, opening hours: 9:00-17:00, day off - Wednesday.
Museum of Art. The museum displays rare paintings of Bukovina artists (the 18th-20th centuries). The ground floor has a souvenir shop and a literary cafe. Central Square, 10. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00, day off - Monday.
Museum of Folk Architecture. One of the few museums of folk architecture in Ukraine. The museum has unique wooden buildings with recreated interiors with collections of household items, tools, costumes, etc. Svetlovodskaya Street, 2. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00 (16:00 - in winter), day off - Monday.
The University (former Residence of Metropolitans). It is the main architectural attraction of the city. The complex of buildings of Chernivtsi National University impresses with its architecture combining Gothic, Byzantine, Oriental and other motives. Kotsyubinsky Street, 2, tours - from 10:00 to 18:00.
The Town Hall. The Town Hall built in 1847 is the center of the city. By prior arrangement with the Tourist Information Center, it is possible to climb to the observation deck, which offers a beautiful view of the city and surrounding areas (groups of up to 5 people.). Central Square, 1.
More Architectural Monuments…
The House-Ship. This building resembles the shape of a ship. According to urban legend, this house was built by a local businessman for his brother-sailor, who was called to return home after years of wandering in distant seas. Glavnaya Street, 25.
The Railway Station. It was built in the Art Nouveau style at the beginning of the 20th century. Gagarin Street.
Chernivtsi places of interest
Chernivtsi National University
Turkish Krynitsa. This cozy square is a new attraction of the city. In the 17th century, the Turkish community was living in this area. The area is particularly beautiful in the evening due to illumination. Turkish Krynitsa Square.
Botanical Garden. One of the oldest botanical gardens in Ukraine (1877). The collection of the garden has more than 920 plants from several continents. Fedkovych Street, 11. Opening hours: 8:30-17:00, days off - Saturday, Sunday.
Music and Drama Theater is located on Theater Square.
Tsetsino Mountain. The mountain on the western outskirts of the city - the highest point of the Chernivtsi hill (378 meters). There are oaks, maples, sycamore, and other rare plants and animals: deer, wild boars, foxes, squirrels. Beletskaya Street, 6.
Colonel House (Puppet Theater). One of the first stone residential buildings in the city (1782). At the end of the 19th century, it housed the officers’ casino. Today, it is Chernivtsi Regional Puppet Theater. Glavnaya Street, 22.
Not far from the city, you can find 2 wonders of Ukraine:
- Khotin fortress (70 km)
- Kamenets-Podolsk fortress (100 km)
There are about 20 hotels in Chernivtsi which can host over 1300 guests and offer rooms from economy-class to suits. Almost all hotels have their own restaurants, parking lots, etc.
There are over 300 restaurants, bars, cafes in Chernivtsi offering traditional Ukrainian food, fast food.
Hotel “Andinna”. New modern hotel located near the center of the city. SPA-center with Turkish and Finnish sauna, pool, gym, and massage room. 14 comfortable rooms with all the amenities, Wi-Fi, cafe (Ukrainian and European cuisine). Libavskaya Street, 22-a. Phone: +380 372 52 56 28.
Hotel “Bukovina”. Modern building in the center of Chernivtsi near the park and the stadium. SPA-center with Finnish steam room and Turkish bath, pool, jacuzzi. 150 rooms of different categories, Wi-Fi, restaurant, bar. Glavnaya Street, 141. Phone: +380 372 58 56 25.
Hotel “Magnat Lux”. Modern two-story hotel located near historic landmarks of the city. 11 comfortable rooms with all amenities, bar. Sheptitsky Street, 6. Phone: +380 372 58 32 12.
Mini-Hotel “Knaus”. Private apartments located in a cozy courtyard in the center of the city. 3 comfortable apartments. Restaurant “Knaus” in the Bavarian style - traditional German cuisine, a large beer selection. Golovnaya Street, 26-a. Phones: +380 372 51 02 55, +380 372 57 58 51, +380 372 58 38 68.
Hotel “George Palace”. This hotel, opened in 2010, is located in the central area of the city near Chernivtsi University. Smoking is not allowed in the hotel, there are special places for smoking. 30 comfortable, spacious rooms with all the amenities, Wi-Fi, excursions, restaurant (European and Bukovina cuisine). Ivan Bohun Street, 24. Phone: + 380 372 57 61 16.
Hotel “Coral”. The hotel is located on the outskirts of the city - not far from the Museum of Folk Architecture, large 4-story renovated building. 49 rooms of different categories, restaurant-bar of European and Ukrainian cuisine. Fastovskaya Street, 30-v. Phone: +380 372 54 84 66.
Hotel “Premier Club”. Small hotel located in close proximity to the center of the old city. 12 comfortable rooms, sauna, Wi-Fi, excursions, cafe (Bukovina and European cuisine). Jasmine Street, 4-d. Phone: +380 372 55 46 98.
Recreation Complex “Orlynoye Gnezdo” (“Eagle’s Nest”). It is located in a recreational area on the mountain Tsetsino near the ski resort “Tsetsino.” The complex of wooden houses over a wide area with landscaping, artificial ponds, pavilions, bath complex, horseback riding through the forest, restaurant of Ukrainian cuisine. Phone: +380 66 336 61 10.
Hotel “Grafskaya Usadba”. This hotel and restaurant complex is situated on the outskirts of Chernivtsi, in a suburban wooded area. 7 rooms, air conditioning, Wi-Fi, restaurant (Italian and Ukrainian cuisine). Phone: +380 372 90 91 93.