Chernovtsy (also spelled Chernivtsi, Chernivtsy, Chernovtsi) is a city and administrative center of Chernovtsy oblast of Ukraine. It is located on the upper Prut River at the Carpathian foothills. The city is a railway and highway junction of the region. Also there is an airport in the city.
Chernovtsy population is about 253,000 (2012).
The phone code is +380 372; the postal code - 58000.
According to archaeological data, Chernovtsy was founded in the second half of the 12th century. First documentary reference to Chernovtsy dates from 1408. It was a town in the Polish-Lithuanian kingdom and the chief center of the area known as the Bukovina.
In the middle of the 13th century, Chernovtsy was conquered by Moldavian princedom. In the 30s of the 16th century, Chernovtsy town passed first to the Turks, and in 1774 to Austria.
In 1848, under the influence of revolutionary events demonstrations of protest took place in Chernovtsy. In 1918, the Communist Party of Bukovina was founded and the same year the region was conquered by Romania.
In 1940, Chernovtsy and northern Bukovina became the part of the Ukrainian SSR of the Soviet Union. Since 1940, Chernovtsy is the center of Chernovtsy oblast.
After the area was joined to the USSR it started to be industrialized, machine-building and chemical plants were constructed. Several large gadget-making plants were created, mainly of defense industry. Chernovtsy was a large railway juncture, there was an airport.
At the beginning of independent Ukraine, Chernovtsy was the city where a wholesale market was formed - one of the largest in Eastern Europe.
Always a major focus of trade, Chernovtsy grew in the early 20th century as an industrial center of the region.
Present day city has woolen and cotton textile, light engineering, food-processing (especially meat and sugar), and timber working industries. There are over 60 enterprises in Chernovtsy which produce about 70 per cent of all the outcome of Chernovtsy oblast.
Chernovtsy streets views
Chernovtsy architecture view
Chernovtsy is located in temperate zone, the climate is of moderate continental type, with mild winters and warm summers. Average temperature is 7,9 degrees C above zero, it is the lowest (4,9 degrees C below zero) in January and the highest in July (18,7 degrees C above zero).
The city is a historical center of Bukovina and along with Lviv is considered the cultural center of Western Ukraine. Chernovtsy is located close to the Carpathians, on the border between the Carpathians and East-European lowland. The city is spread on terraces of the river Prut meadow, on the height of 100-250 m above sea level.
For centuries Chernovtsy has been formed as a town with unique architecture of various styles and with rich cultural heritage. The town design with its considerable relief differences creates variety of landscapes, the skyline of which is complicated by various confessions church domes and the clock tower of the town hall.
Ancient twisting streets broken by tight turns stretch to the mountains from the river Prut. On gentle terraces they form a dense street net which is cut by wide highways heading for the Central square of Chernovtsy.
The tour round the old town of Austrian period gives a chance to get acquainted with architectural ensembles of the 19th – early 20th centuries. The ensemble of former Bukovina and Dalmatsiya metropolitans’ Residence is the architectural pearl of Chernovtsy.
Chernovtsy is one of few cities in Ukraine which is considered an architectural pearl. 602 monuments of architecture in historical part of the city are on the list of state registration, 25 of them are of national importance. Historical constructions of the old town present almost untouched ensemble of the 19th-20th centuries.
Chernovtsy central square
Chernovtsy railway station
Chernovtsy is an important cultural center of Ukraine. There is University and Doctors’ Training Institute in the city as well as scientific research institutions - the Institute of social and economic problems of foreign countries and others.
Famous Ukrainian writer and essayist Ivan Franko graduated the local University in 1891. It is Chernovtsy where famous Soviet singers D.Gnatyuk and S.Rotaru started their careers.
Among the architectural sights of the city is a wooden Church of Saint Nicholas (1607), Church of Ascension (the 17th century), Spiridonievskaya Church (1773), Church of Assumption (1783), Church of Christmas (1767).
There are interesting tours out of Chernovtsy. Not far from the city there are 2 Ukraine wonders: Khotinskaya (70 km) and Kamenets-Podolskaya (100 km) fortresses as well as the pearl of Ukrainian Carpathians - the town of Yaremche (130 km).
There are about 20 hotels in Chernovtsy which can host over 1300 guests and offer rooms from economy-class to suits. Almost all hotels have their own restaurants, parking lots and so on. In the city there are over 300 restaurants, bars, cafes and pizza-huts both fast food and traditional Ukrainian and delicate French cuisine.
There are 2 theaters in Chernovtsy, a regional philharmonic society, organ music hall, a lot of museums, 5 cinemas, a lot of recreation parks.
Chernovtsy museum of local study. The largest collection of material and artifacts of nature, history and culture of Chernovitskaya oblast, a large and well chosen collection of ethnographic material, coins, household items of Chernovitskaya oblast; a very precious collection of monuments of architecture and a lot of others.
Chernovtsy art museum. A unique collection of Bukovina icons on glass of the 19th-20th centuries, Bukovina folk carpets of the 19th-20th centuries, Bukovina and Guzul paintings. The exhibits of the museum gives an idea of how art of painting developed in Bukovina from the 19th century.
Museum of folk architecture and interior. An architectural and landscape complex which consists of monuments of folk architecture of the end of the 18th - the first half of the 20th century.
In the open air there is an ancient Bukovina settlement of 35 constructions brought from various areas of the region and originally reconstructed. The surroundings are quite natural: peasants’ houses of different classes, windmills, a blacksmith’s, an inn, a local office, a church with a belfry and others.