Khmelnitsky (also spelled Khmelnytskyi, Khmelnytsky), former (until 1954) Proskurov, is a city and administrative center of Khmelnitsky region, western Ukraine.
It is standing along the upper Yuzhny (Southern) Bug River. The city is a highway and railway junction of the region.
Population - 265,000 (2013).
Area code - +380 382; postal codes - 29000-29027.
It was first time mentioned in the chronicles of 1493. It was called Proskirov that time. In the second half of the 16th century, the fortress was built there. Originally, a Polish military post, it was seized by the Cossacks in the mid-17th century.
In 1780s, Proskirov was renamed Proskurov. In 1793, it passed to Russia according to the Second Partition of Poland.
In 1954, the city was renamed Khmelnitsky to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Ukraine’s uniting with Russia.
Present day city is a large industrial center of Podoliya area producing about 40% of all the output of the region.
It is a rail junction on the Odessa-Lviv and Chernivtsi-Korosten lines.
The climate of the area is moderately continental. The average temperature during the warmest month (July) is plus 18-19 degrees Celsius, minus 5-6 degrees C during the coldest month (January).
The maximum temperature in summer reaches +38 degrees C, the minimum in winter is -35 degrees C. The average annual temperature is plus 7-8 degrees C. The average annual rainfall is 510-580 mm.
Khmelnitsky is an important cultural center. Educational and cultural facilities include a technological institute, theater and philharmonic hall.
Khmelnitsky places of interest
The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin. It is the oldest stone building in the city (1837). The cathedral was built on the site of the first Orthodox church of the 18th century burned down in 1822. Vaiser Street, 15-a.
The Catholic Church of St. Vincent de Paul. The Dominican monastery with the Church of St. Vincent de Paul was founded by the means of the town owner K. Senyuta in 1612. The present building was constructed in 1789. The Catholic monastery lasted until 1859, after that the church was rebuilt into the Orthodox church.
In Soviet times, this building was used by different institutions: a prison, cultural center and library. Only in 1991, the church was returned to the Catholic community. Today, the church is being restored. Belogorye town (about 120 km from Khmelnitsky), Franco Street, 28.
Local History Museum. The museum is located in a modern building surrounded by historic buildings of the downtown. There are about 60 thousand exhibits, including medieval coins and jewelry of the Kievan Rus time, a large collection of porcelain (the 19th-20th centuries), antique furniture and glassware. Podolskaya Street, 12. Opening hours: 8:00-17:00.
Khmelnitsky History Museum. This museum is located in a modern building in the pedestrian zone. It is a small-sized museum with an exposition covering major events of Khmelnitsky history. More than two thousand exhibits are presented there. Proskurovskaya Street, 30.
The Museum of Art. The art gallery is housed in a former building of a bank (1903). The collection has eight thousand works of art created by forty contemporary artists.
The majority of the exhibits are made in national style. In particular, there is a permanent exhibition of the artist G. Vereiskiy. Also, the museum runs an art shop. Proskurovskaya Street, 47. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00, day off - Sunday.
The central part of Khmelnitsky
The street near the movie theater
Shevchenko Public Garden. It is a favorite place of recreation of people living in Khmelnitsky. Until the 19th century, it was an oak grove on the outskirts of the old Proskurov town.
In 1824, a trade area was established there, some trees were cut down. At the end of the 19th century, it was decided to create a public garden there. The garden is decorated with whimsical metal sculptures created by the contemporary artist N. Masur. Proskurovskaya Street, 40.
Khmelnitsky repeatedly experienced large fires and destruction, a lot of old buildings were lost in a fire in 1822, and, after the World War II, only a very few landmarks survived.
Local monuments of architecture are only a few buildings of the 19th - early 20th centuries constructed in baroque, eclecticism and modernism styles.
The most notable buildings are:
- the oldest stone building in Khmelnitsky - the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin (1837);
- the building of a former secondary school (1905);
- some landmarks on Proskurovskaya Street - the building of the Museum of Art (1903), and the House of Culture, where the first theater was opened in 1892.
Also, there is a pretty interesting monument made from the wreckage of a strategic intercontinental ballistic missile SS-19.
Khmelnitsky has the only in Ukraine monument to the famous Baron Munchausen.
And of course among the attractions of the city is its huge marketplace.
Hotel “Lybid-Plaza”. The hotel is located in the center of the city in the retail and entertainment complex “Lybid-Plaza”. Panoramic views of the city center. The hotel was opened in October 2007.
Main services: 3 restaurants (original, Japanese, Ukrainian cuisine), cafe-bar, billiards, bowling, trade center, laundry, dry-cleaning, Wi-Fi, parking. Kamenetskaya Street, 21. Contact phone: +380 382 78 76 00.
Hotel “Coliseum”. This hotel-restaurant complex is located in the micro district “Blizhniye Grechany”. Main services: a restaurant, bar, billiards, sauna, Wi-Fi, parking. Chkalov Street, 1-a. Contact phone: +380 382 55 93 35.
Hotel “Vik-Jan”. It is a comfortable private hotel located close to the central part of the city. Main services: a restaurant (European cuisine), bar, sauna, pool, playground, taxi, dry-cleaning, Wi-Fi, parking. Martovskaya Street, 5/1. Contact phone: +380 382 72 90 71.
Mini-hotel “Pivdenna brama”. This hotel-restaurant complex is located on the outskirts of Khmelnitsky (Kamenets Podolskiy direction), on the corner of Kamenetskaya and Zhitetskiy Streets. Main services: a restaurant (Ukrainian and European cuisine), bar, sauna, pool, Wi-Fi, parking. Zhitetskiy Street, 1/1. Contact phone: +380 3822 2 39 03.
Hotel “Eneida”. It is a large multi-storey hotel located in the center. The hall and several floors were renovated according to European standards. Main services: a restaurant, bar, conference hall, barbershop, parking. Teatralnaya Street, 8. Contact phone: +380 382 79 59 32.
Hotel “Podillya”. This large multi-storey Soviet times hotel is standing on one of the main streets of the city, close to the center. The building was partially renovated.
Main services: a restaurant (Ukrainian and European cuisine), bar, gym, laundry, ATM, barbershop, conference hall, Wi-Fi, billiards, laundry, parking. Shevchenko Street, 34. Contact phones: +380 382 76 55 20, +380 76 26 11.
Mini-hotel “Lyube”. It is a private restaurant and hotel complex located in the outermost part of the city in the Grechany district (“Neva” plant). Main services: a restaurant, cafe-bar, conference hall, Wi-Fi, parking. Kurchatov Street, 17. Contact phones: +380 382 70 40 70, +380 382 55 92 53.
Hotel “Tsentralniy”. The hotel is located in the very center of the city. Main services: a restaurant, conference hall, barbershop, bank, Internet, Wi-Fi, parking. Gagarin Street, 5. Contact phones: +380 382 65 77 59, +380 382 76 45 41.