Lutsk foundation date is not known. According to one source, it was founded in the 7th century, according to another - in 1000. The first record refers to 1085, when it was a fortified town which withstood a six-month siege.
By the end of the 14th century, Lutsk became a large trade center. Merchants used to come there from other countries, some of them moved there to live; so there were districts inhabited by Germans, Poles and others.
In 1429, the famous congress of monarchs took place in the town. Its aim was to “discuss measures against the common enemy - the Turks”.
More Historical Facts…
The Polish king Jagiello was there as well as the German Emperor Sigizmund, the great prince of Moscovia Vasily II, the Dutch king, the Prussian gross master and the Byzantine ambassador.
At the end of the 15th century, Lutsk was considered one of the best towns in the area, but, in the mid 16th century, the town started to decline.
In 1795, when Poland was divided for the third time, Volyn lands were included into the Russian Empire. During the War of 1812, the town hosted the staff of the Russian army commanded by the legendary general Bagration.
In 1832, a gymnasium was opened there. The famous Ukrainian poet Lesya Ukrainka spent her childhood in this town.
During the Russian Civil War (1917-1920), it was occupied by opposite sides several times. From 1921 to 1939, the city was a part of Poland.
In 1939, according to Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, Lutsk was occupied by the Red Army and became the part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. During the World War II, the city was occupied by German troops and, in 1944, the Soviet Army liberated it.
Present day city is an industrial center specializing in scientific tools, food and other light industries. Trucks are manufactured, and an automobile plant was constructed in the late 1970s to build a Volynyanka, a multi-purpose vehicle for rural use.
Lutsk castle. Prince Lubart’s Castle is one of the strongest fortresses in Volyn, the main sight of the city. In its current form of a typical European medieval feudal castle it was built by the Lithuanian-Russian prince Lubart in 1340-1385.
The museums of art, bells, building ceramics, ancient books, and weapons are open on the territory of the castle. Cathedral Street, 1-a. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00.
Czartoryski tower (Okolny castle). Czartoryski defense tower and a part of the fortress wall are the remains of the fortifications of Okolny castle, which in the Middle Ages strengthened the Upper Castle (Prince Lubart’s Castle) from south and west. The tower was named after Princes Czartoryski, who owned the town in the 15th-16th centuries. Drahomanova Street, 29-a.
Small castle (Synagogue). This defensive synagogue, known as “Small castle”, was the part of the fortifications of Okolny castle. The synagogue was built in 1622-1629. Danila Galitsky Street, 33.
The Museum of Volyn Icons. The museum presents Volyn regional school of icon painting. The exhibition includes more than 1.5 thousand works of religious art (about 600 icons of Volyn art school of the 16th-18th centuries).
Kholmsk Virgin icon is a pearl of the museum. It is a unique monument of the Byzantine art of the 11th-12th centuries, one of the most worshiped Orthodox saint icons. Yaroshchuk Street, 5. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00, days off - Wednesday, Saturday.
The Museum of the Ukrainian army. Volyn Regional Museum of Ukrainian troops and military equipment is located at a military camp in the center of the city, in the buildings of 1925. The exhibition features 50 items of military equipment and weapons. Na Taborische Street, 4.
The Sculptor’s house. Lutsk “house with chimeras” is a unique residential building in the city. It is owned by the sculptor N. Golovan.
Built on the bank of the Styr River, this house-studio is decorated with lots of stone sculptures of different styles, giving the impression of full eclecticism. Here you can find the sculptures of fantastic heroes and mythical creatures next to the statues of saints. Lutheran Street, 9.
The House of Peter the Great. It is a residential building located near the pedestrian Lesya Ukrainka street, where the Russian Tsar Peter I stayed during his visit to the town in 1709. Pushkin Street, 2.
Peter and Paul church. The church is one of the most valuable monuments of the city. It is among the most important Catholic shrines in Volyn. The church was built in the 17th century. The nearby bell tower remained from the 16th century.
The interior of the church is richly decorated with stucco, sculptures, pilasters, and paintings of many artists. There are guided tours to the vaults located under the church (the entrance is on the right side of the cathedral). Cathedral Street, 6.
The Church of the Intercession. It is the oldest Orthodox church in the city. The church was probably founded by grandchildren of the Kiev Prince Vladimir the Great in the 13th century. It was restored on the ancient foundations in the 15th-16th centuries.
After 1625, the church was demolished and in its place a new stone church was built, which then was repeatedly reconstructed up until the end of the 19th century. The main relic is the icon of Our Lady of Volyn, the masterpiece of Ukrainian painting of the 13th-14th centuries. Karaimskaya Street, 11.
The Holy Cross church. In the 17th century, this church was one of the buildings of the Holy Cross Brotherhood. In its present form the church was rebuilt after a fire in 1888. Danila Galitsky Street, 2.
Lutheran church. This Evangelical church was built in neo-Gothic style by the means of the German community of the city. It is used as Protestant church now. Karaimskaya Street, 16.
The Holy Trinity cathedral. The cathedral was built in the 18th century as a Bernardine monastery church in the new part of the town (the center of the city today).
Originally, the church had rococo architectural elements, however, after the end of the Bernardine Order and the transfer of the building to Orthodox church, it was completely rebuilt in the style of the late Baroque. Gradny descent, 1.
Brigidy monastery. It was erected in place of a palace of the 16th century. In 1846, the monastery was closed, it was turned into a prison and, later, into a music school. At present, it is an Orthodox monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox church. Cathedral Street, 16.
According to some visitors’ reviews, the following hotels offer fairly good level of service.
Hotel “Zaleski”. This comfortable hotel of European level is located in the center of Lutsk, two blocks from Lubart’s castle. 23 cozy rooms, Wi-Fi.
There is a restaurant (theatrical interior, Ukrainian and European cuisine). Additional services: beauty salon, sauna, swimming pool, jacuzzi, massage, solarium, conference room, parking, translation services, guide services, transfer. Kryvyi Val Street, 39. Phones: +38 0332 77 27 01 +38 067 314 27 04.
Recreational complex “Sribni leleky”. The complex is located in a green area of Lutsk, in the central part of the city. Swiss-style architecture. The park area with pavilions, lawns and flower beds.
Comfortable rooms of different categories with individual design. There is a restaurant (European and Ukrainian cuisine). The price includes breakfast, parking, taxi call, internet. Chornovola Street, 17. Phones: +38 0332 757 100, +38 0332 757 989.
Hotel “Ukraine”. The hotel is located in the center (reconstructed in 2003). There are 2 conference rooms, a SPA-center.
128 comfortable rooms, Wi-Fi. There are 5 rooms in traditional style with exclusive design, a restaurant (classic interior, European and Ukrainian cuisine). Additional services: booking tickets, transfer, taxi call, tours. Slovatskogo Street, 2. Phones: +38 0332 788 100, +38 0332 788 106 (room reservation).
Hotel “Svitjaz”. The hotel is located close to the banks of the Styr River, next to the park with greenery, the center and the “old” city.
There are rooms with all the amenities of different categories and sizes. The hotel has a restaurant (European and national Ukrainian cuisine). Additional services: sauna, hair salon, conference room, Wi-Fi, parking, taxi call, translation services, excursions. Naberezhna Street, 4. Phones: +38 0332 249000, +38 0332 244172, +38 0332 24 55 11 (room reservation), +38 0332 24 54 06 (room reservation).
Mini-hotel “Majetok”. This hotel designed as a manor house is located in the suburb of Lutsk, a 15-minute drive from the city center. All rooms have individual design, satellite TV, Wi-Fi.
In summer, an open-air cafe and grill are open. Also, it is possible to order breakfast. Additional services include a sauna, conference room, children’s playground, parking. Lypyny village, Veteraniv Street, 1. Phones: +38 0332 79 78 63, +38 066 215 3999.