Rivne was first time mentioned in 1282 as a town of Galytsko-Volynskoye princedom. From the second half of the 14th century, Rivne was ruled by Lithuania. At the end of the 15th century, Magdeburg Law was adopted in Rivne.
According to Lyublin union of 1569, Rivne passed to Poland and was long a minor Polish settlement. In 1648, there was an anti-feudal revolt.
In 1793, on the first partition of Poland Rivne passed to Russia. Rivne was made a town in 1797. The growth began at the end of the 19th century when Rivne became an important railway junction.
In February 1918, Rivne was occupied by Austro-German troops, between 1920 and 1939, Rivne reverted to Poland. With the beginning of the World War II the city was captured by the Soviet army and became the part of the Ukrainian SSR.
Previously Rivne industries were of minor significance. In the 1960s, industries developed greatly, especially machine-building and metal processing. Chemical industries are also developed in the city. There are the biggest textile industry works and other foodstuffs.
Rivne main features
Rivne has a teacher-training and water-engineering institutes and a branch of Kiev State University. Among survivals of Rivne past are the Church of Assumption with a bell tower (1756, wooden), gymnasium (1839, in classicism style). Famous writer V.G.Korolenko studied in Rivne gymnasium (1866-1871).
Rivne regional theater of music and drama and Rivne philharmonic society are famous through their creative successful activities. There is also a puppet theater, a Zoo, a museum of local study, several cinemas, among them a cinema “Ukraine” and a 3D cinema “Era”.
Rivne has high schools and Universities, more schools are founded every year as well as medical institutions, plants of various branches and types. There are monuments of history and architecture of different generations and epochs.
There are tours to churches of Rivne. The place where Rivne castle and a magnificent palace of Lyubomirsky magnates were located are interesting to see as well as the building of former gymnasium, Assumption church - a sample of Volyn school of wooden architecture, Resurrection cathedral - one of the largest in Western Ukraine.
The monument of garden and park design - T.Shevchenko park - is of great interest. The park is one of favorite recreation areas among citizens of Rivne and it occupies 30 hectares. It is remarkable for its cozy alleys, work of nature and of a human being. In the park there are concert, sports and children’s grounds as well as nice cafes.
Local History Museum (former gymnasium). The building of the gymnasium constructed in classical style was built in 1839 on the initiative of Prince Frederick Lubomirski. Ukrainian historian N. Kostomarov was teaching there.
Since 1975, the building is occupied by local history museum, organized in 1906. There are about 140 thousand exhibits, including archaeological, ethnographic exhibitions, numismatic collection, Cossack era items, icons. In the nearby public garden there is an exposition of military equipment. Address: Rivne, Dragomanov Str., 19. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00, day off - Monday.
Rivne Zoo. The zoo is located in the park area of 4.7 ha at the entrance to Rivne from Kiev. About 200 species of animals are living there (lions and other big cats, bears, monkeys, artiodactyls, birds). In the open-air cage “Babushkino podvoriye” (“Grandmother’s yard”) you are allowed to feed domestic animals. There is horseback riding school. Address: Rivne, Kievskaya Str., 110. Opening hours: 9:00-20:00 (winter: 9:00-17:00).
Monument to Maria Rovenskaya. She was the wife of Prince S. Nesvitski. In the 15th century, she contributed to the transformation of initially small village in a town. In 1479, after the death of Prince Nesvitski the town became the property of his wife and from that time she was called Maria Rovenskaya.
She founded the castle on the island and other town buildings, in her time the town received Magdeburg right and the right to have annual fair. In 1507, Maria received from the king the right of everlasting ownership of the castle and town. Address: Rivne, Sobornaya (Cathedral) Str., 99-113.
Rivne Brewery. The complex of brewery buildings was built by a joint stock company “Steam brewery of “Bergshloss” in 1900. The major shareholder was the Czech entrepreneur Bergshloss, who arrived in Volhynia in the end of the 19th century with a wave of immigrants from the Czech Republic.
In 1939, the brewery was nationalized. In Soviet times, it produced such beer brands as “Zhigulevskoye”, “Ukrainskoye”, “Slavyanskoye”. Today Rivne beer is known for its natural taste due to the fact that pasteurization and preservatives are not used in the production process. Address: Rivne, Copernicus Str., 9.
Children’s Railway. It is one of the nine Ukrainian children’s railways. The opening of the railway took place in 1949. Partizanskaya station is located in the center of the city, near the bridge (Sobornaya Street). Rivne Children’s Railway train runs from early May to late August on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. Address: Rivne, Sobornaya Str., 147. Opening hours: 11:00-18:00 (May to August during the weekends).
Lebedinoye (Swan) Lake Park. The park located in the center of Rivne is all that remained of the estate of princes Lubomirski. The palace of Lubomirski was standing in the place of present stadium “Avangard” until the middle of the 20th century. The palace was built on the basis of the medieval castle of Princess Maria Rovenskaya, the widow of Prince S. Nesvitski.
In the 18th century, Lubomirski together with the architect S. Bourguignon, laid out the palace park. In the beginning of the 19th century, the park was redesigned in English-style by D. McClair (Mikler). After the World War I the estate fell into disrepair. The palace was burned, and the park was cut down. After the war the park was partially restored and named Komsomolskiy, but people called it the “Swan Lake” because of the swans living in a small pond in the middle of the park. Address: Rivne, Zamkovaya (Castle) Str.
Amber Museum. The museum was opened in Rivne with the help of local amber works. It is located in the building of Rivne house of scientists - the mansion constructed in beginning of the 20th century. Among the exhibits of the museum are the pieces of amber up to 40 million years old, found at different times in the Rivne region, as well as amber jewelry.
In particular, the most ancient amber handicraft in Ukraine - disk-amulet of about 2.5 thousand years age - is exhibited there. The pride of the museum is the collection of insects crystallized in amber stones. Also there is a piece of amber weighing about 2 kg. The exhibits are devoted not only to the history of amber extraction in the region, but also to the history of the only amber processing enterprise in Ukraine. Address: Rivne, S. Petlura Str., 17. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00, days off - Monday, Wednesday.
Shevchenko Park. Rivne Recreation Park named after Shevchenko is a monument of landscape art of national importance. The park was founded in the late 18th century. Today the age of several trees is up to 150-200 years. About 160 species of trees and shrubs are growing on the territory of the park.
In the early 1950s, the park expanded its territory, and in 1977-1984 the reconstruction of the park was carried out. At the moment, the park occupies 32 hectares and has five zones: quiet relaxation, active relaxation, entertainment facilities, sports and children’s sector. Address: Rivne, Sobornaya Str., 3.
Catholic Church of St. Anthony. The church built in the Gothic Revival style with a beautiful clock on the facade was constructed according to the project of K. Wojciechowski by means of R. Sangushko. The church was opened in 1900. From Soviet times the building of the church is used as a house of organ music. Address: Rivne, Sobornaya Str., 137.
Church of the Assumption. The wooden Greek-Catholic Church is the oldest building in the city. The bell tower of the church is preserved. Address: Rivne, Shevchenko Str., 113.
Resurrection Cathedral. It is the most notable architectural sight of the city. Holy Resurrection Cathedral was built at the end of the 19th century on donations to the Emperor Alexander III in place of the burnt in 1881 church. In Soviet times, the building was used as a museum of atheism. At present, the cathedral belongs to the Orthodox community of the city. Address: Rivne, Sobornaya Str., 39.
Pokrovsky Cathedral. Address: Rivne, Sobornaya Str., 6.
Church “Svitankova Zorya”. Address: Rivne, Pluzhnik Str., 3.
Hotel “Mir”. Large modern hotel located in the very center of the city. The seven-storey building was completely renovated in 2008. Main services: restaurant (Ukrainian and European cuisine), bar, Wi-Fi, taxi, conference hall, laundry, dry-cleaning, parking. Address: Rivne, Mitskevich Str., 32. Contact phones: +380 362 22 13 35, +380 362 22 11 06.
Hotel “Tourist”. The hotel is located in the center of Rivne (ten-storey renovated building). Main services: two restaurants (Italian and Ukrainian cuisine), two cafes, bar, billiards, conference hall, excursions, sauna, solarium, barbershop, laundry, safe, parking. Address: Rivne, Kievskaya Str., 36. Contact phones: +380 362 26 18 96, +380 362 26 56 14, +380 362 26 74 13.
Hotel “Marlen”. The hotel is located close to the center of the city. Main services: restaurant (European, Ukrainian, Eastern, Mongolian cuisine), laundry, Internet, massage, excursions. Address: Rivne, Grushevsky Str., 13. Contact phones: +380 362 69 06 00, +380 362 69 05 99, +380 362 69 05 88, +380 362 24 20 87.
Hotel “Zolotoye Runo”. New hotel-restaurant located at the entrance to city from Dubno direction. Main services: restaurant (Georgian cuisine), bar, sauna with pool, business center, Wi-Fi. Address: Rivne, Teligi Str., 12. Contact phones: +380 362 63 02 02, +380 362 25 71 17.
Hotel “Orlan”. New hotel located in the center of the city. Main services: restaurant (Ukrainian cuisine), bar, beauty salon, Wi-Fi, parking. Address: Rivne, Venskaya Str., 9. Contact phone: +380 362 64 31 01.
Motel “Okolitsa”. The motel of recreation complex “Okolitsa” located on the outskirts of Rivne. Main services: cafe (Ukrainian and European cuisine), sauna, parking. Address: Rivne, Mlynovskaya Str., 3. Contact phone: +380 362 5 40 22.