Although Ternopil date of foundation is unknown, the first known reference to it occurs in 1524, when, as a Polish town, it was sacked by Tatars.
In 1548, Magdeburg Law was adopted. In 1655, Cossack troops headed by B.Khmelnitsky captured the town. But it remained under Poland’s control.
On the first partition of Poland in 1772, the town was captured by Austria. In 1809-1815, it was ruled by Russia.
After the fall of Austro-Hungary, Ternopil was passed to Poland in 1920. It was annexed by the USSR in 1939. The Second World War inflicted exceptionally heavy damage on the city.
Present day city is an important railway junction and has light, engineering, food-processing, and consumer-goods industries.
The climate is of moderate continental type, with warm humid summers and mild winters.
Average temperature varies from 5 degrees Celsius below zero in January to 19 degrees C above zero in July.
For a long time, the town was called Tarnopol. The current variant of the city name was introduced in 1944.
There are various versions of the city name origin. It is very likely that the city was called after the founder Yan Amor Tarnovsky.
Although most of Ternopil is new, the 16th century Nativity and the 18th century Dominican churches survived.
The city is known for its architectural and cultural monuments. It is very comfortable for foreign travelers. There are a lot of exchange points and modern hotels.
Ternopil is the center of a region famous by its castles, waterfalls, caverns and rivers. It is the start of picturesque rafting routes along the Dniester canyon, tours to Ternopil caverns, to the highest lowland Dzhurinsky waterfall and an ancient church in the rock in Monastirka on the river Strypa.
Traces of ancient people sites are found in the nearest settlements Veliky Glybochok, Petrikiv and Stupky. In spite of destroying wars which the town faced several times, several houses - monuments of architecture, history and culture are still preserved in the city.
They are marked by features of eclecticism and modern styles - fashionable at that time. Architectural ensembles in the central part of the city give an idea of old Ternopil architecture.
The city lake
The lake which was formed in 1951 is the main place of interest and decoration of the city.
It is worth noting that lakes are located in the center of only two European cities.
Dominican Church. Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is an architectural monument of the late European Baroque. It is impressive Roman Catholic Church with two towers built in 1749-1779 in the historical center of the city on the site of ancient Orthodox Church.
The church was heavily damaged during the Second World War, rebuilt in 1953. The building was used as a picture gallery of local history museum. In 1992, the church was restored and returned to local community of Greek Catholics. Unfortunately, the interiors of the cathedral did not survive. Sagaidachny Street, 14.
Church of Exaltation of the Cross. It is the oldest church in the city built by the founder of the town crown hetman J. Tarnowski on the site of ancient church of the times of Prince Danylo Galitsky.
The church was located near the western (Lviv) gate over the pond. In 1627, the bell tower was constructed. The church was restored in 1959. Nad Stavom Street, 16.
Church of the Nativity is a very beautiful church, one of the finest examples of Podolia architecture school of the 17th century. The church was built in 1602-1608 near the eastern gate of the city.
It acquired its present look as a result of restoration made in 1937. The main shrine of the church is the icon of Our Lady of Ternopil. Russkaya Street, 22.
Museum of Political Prisoners. Historical and Memorial Museum of Political Prisoners is located in the basement of the former temporary jail detention center of Ternopil NKVD and KGB.
The exhibition is about the struggle of the Ukrainian nationalists with the communist regime, repressive methods of the Soviet secret police and the life of prisoners in the camps of the Gulag.
The visitors can see the punishment cells, torture instruments, household items of the prisoners. Also, there is the layout of the Siberian concentration camp. Copernicus Street, 1. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00, days off - Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
Local History Museum. The museum was founded in 1913 with four main exhibitions: ethnographic, historical and numismatic, natural history and archaeological.
Today, the exhibition includes more than 150 thousand exhibits and reflects the history of Ternopil region from the 10th century.
In particular, there is a collection of pottery found during excavations in the region. Iskusstv Square, 3. Opening hours: 10:00-17:45, days off - Monday, Wednesday.
Museum of Art. Modest collection of paintings of lesser-known artists of the 18th-20th centuries is presented in the museum. Also, there is a collection of sacred art: icons, crucifixes, statues, and church bells. Krushelnitskaya Street, 1. Opening hours: 9:30-17:30, day off - Saturday.
Restaurant-museum “Staraya Melnitsa” (Old Mill) known for national cuisine and rich collection of objects of national life. Brodovskaya Street, 1.
Ternopil administration building
Monument to Bandera. A monument to the leader of Ukrainian nationalists Stepan Bandera was erected for the 100th anniversary of his birth in 2008. The monument is located in the park of Shevchenko, in front of the Ternopil Oblast State Administration.
Monument to Danilo Galitsky. The monument to prince Danilo Galitsky, the unifier of Western Ukraine lands, was placed in the center of the city in 2002. In the middle of the 13th century, Danilo Galitsky was able to unite Galicia-Volyn state. Volya Square.
Monument to Krushelnitskaya. The world’s first monument to an outstanding opera singer S. Krushelnitskaya was erected in 2010. Before it, the memory of the Ukrainian singer, born in Ternopil region, was perpetuated only in busts placed in Lviv and Milan, where she performed at La Scala Theater. Shevchenko Boulevard.
Monument to Franco. The monument to Ukrainian writer and public figure I. Franko appeared in Ternopil in 1995. It is located in the park behind the Dominican church in the place of the former gymnasium #1, where the writer met with local schoolboys in 1902. Hetman Sagaidachny Street.
Monument to Shevchenko. The monument to Taras Shevchenko was erected near the regional drama theater named after the poet in 1982. It is located in the public garden to the right of the theater. Grushevsky Street.
Monuments to Plumber, Invisible Man, and Chair. The complex of three humorous monuments was opened in the center near the shopping center “Atrium” in 2010. Two of them are devoted to literary works, and the third to the community services workers.
The monument to the 12th chair was inspired by the satirical book by Ilf and Petrov “12 chairs”. The monument to Invisible Man refers to the novel by H. Wells. The monument to plumber is dedicated to Ternopil water utility workers. Cardinal Slipoy Street, 7.
Other places of interest
Ternopil Pond (Lake). A large pond in the center of the city was created at the initiative of Crown Hetman J. Tarnovsky during the construction of the Ternopil Castle. The area of the pond is about 300 hectares.
The main purpose of the pond was to protect the castle. In addition, it was also used for fish breeding. Today, the pond is surrounded by a park. It is a favorite walking place of residents and visitors of the city. Russkaya Street.
Ternopil Castle. The castle was founded in 1540 by great crown hetman J. Tarnowski on the site of ancient Russian settlement Sopilche (Topilche) to defend the Polish borders against the Tatars. In the 17th century, great crown chancellor T. Zamoyski expanded the fortifications, but in subsequent years they were repeatedly destroyed.
In particular, the castle was almost completely demolished by the Turks after the capture of the city in 1672. In the beginning of the 19th century, the count F. Koritovsky built a palace in its place after demolishing the remaining fortifications, towers and gates.
Several parts of the castle were preserved. During the World War I, the palace was burnt down. It was renovated in 1951 to house the exhibition halls and sports training center. If you look at the palace from the lake side it is clearly visible that is was a fortification in the past. Zamkovaya Street, 12.
Shevchenko Drama Theater. The theater was founded in 1915 on the initiative of famous Ukrainian actor and theater director L. Kurbas as the first professional theater in the city.
The present building of the theater was constructed in 1957. In a park next to the theater there is a monument to Taras Shevchenko. Shevchenko Boulevard, 22.
Water park Limpopo is a part of recreation complex “Alligator”. The area of the park is 4.2 thousand square meters. It can accommodate 400 visitors. There are six pools of various types.
The water park complex includes a Turkish bath. The complex also has bowling, disco, restaurant, billiards, fitness club. Gayov Street, 29. Opening hours: 7:00-22:00.
Hotel “Versal”. The hotel built in 2008 is located in the park zone at the entrance to the city from Lviv. Main services: restaurant, playground, parking. Lvovskaya Street, 34. Contact phones: +380 352 51 28 95, +380 352 51 29 95.
Hotel “Kamelot”. Modern hotel and restaurant complex built in 2009. Main services: restaurant (Ukrainian, Polish, Hungarian cuisine), bar, 2 saunas with 3 pools, gym, beauty salon, conference hall, Wi-Fi, parking. Obyezdnaya Street, 6. Contact phones: +380 35 251 47 47, +380 35 251 47 51.
Hostel “Gostinniy Dvor”. The hostel is located in the very center of the city, close to the pond and Shevchenko Park. Barbershop, drug store and minimarket are located nearby.
Main services: sauna, kitchen, laundry, playground, Wi-Fi, parking. Academician Gorbachevskiy Street, 1. Contact phones: +380 97 722 83 11, +380 352 55 49 85.
Mini-hotel “Retro Car”. First hotel on retro car theme located about 1.5 km from the center of the city. Main services: cafe-bar, Wi-Fi, parking. Mikulinetskaya Street, 116-a. Contact phones: +380 352 47 55 02, +380 352 47 55 22.
Hotel “Pallada”. Modern hotel and restaurant complex built in 2011. Main services: restaurant, bar, Wi-Fi, parking. Budniy Street, 1. Contact phone: +380 352 52 55 03.
Hotel “Alligator”. Modern recreation complex built in 1999 is located on the outskirts of the city.
Main services: water park, bowling, bar, billiards, fitness club, restaurant (Ukrainian cuisine), conference hall, sauna, car wash, Internet, taxi, transfer, massage, laundry, dry-cleaning, currency exchange, parking. Gayov Street, 29. Contact phones: +380 352 52 71 72, +380 352 52 82 82.
Hotel “Ternopil”. The hotel is located in the center of the city. The architectural monuments and park are located nearby. Main services: restaurant (European cuisine), bar, conference hall, laundry, gym, shops, transfer, parking. Zamkovaya Street, 14. Contact phones: +380 352 52 42 63, +380 352 52 43 97, +380 352 43 37 90.
Hotel “Tsentralniy”. The hotel is located in the historic center of the city. There is a restaurant (European and French cuisine). Shevchenko Boulevard, 25. Contact phones: +380 352 23 52 11, +380 352 25 35 16.
Hotel “Halychyna”. This large hotel is located near the central part of the city in the recreation zone. Main services: restaurant (European cuisine), bar, Internet, conference hall, excursions, parking. Chumatskaya Street, 1-a. Contact phones: +380 352 53 35 95, +380 352 52 43 97.
Recreation complex “Dikanka”. New hotel and restaurant complex located on the outskirts of the city. Main services: restaurant (European cuisine), sauna, massage, parking. April 15 Street, 3-a. Contact phone: +380 352 42 14 14.