It was founded in 1662 as a town of Stanislawow. After the first partition of Poland (1772), the town was held by Austria till 1919. It occupied an important position on the northern approach to the Yablonitsa Pass over the Carpathians. From 1919 till 1939, the city was a part of Poland.
In 1939, together with all the western Ukraine, it became the part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. In 1945, it was ceded to the Soviet Union and named Stanislav.
In 1962, the city turned 300 years old. It was renamed and, since that time, it bears the name of the Ukrainian writer Ivan Franko who often visited the town, wrote and read his works there.
In the early 1990s, Ivano-Frankivsk was one of the centers of Ukrainian independence movement.
Ivano-Frankivsk city architecture
Parish Church (the Art Museum). This former Catholic church of the Blessed Virgin Mary is one of the most valuable architectural monuments in the city. In Soviet times, the church was closed, and the building was used as an art museum. Today, the art museum can still be found there. Sheptytsky Square, 8. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00, day off - Monday.
The City Hall (Local History Museum). This constructivist building standing on the Rynok (Market) Square is the most recognizable symbol of Ivano-Frankivsk (the height is 49.5 meters). In its current form the building was constructed in the first half of the 20th century.
The building hosts several exhibitions of a local history museum: nature, history, folk art, and archaeology. Several collections of weapons and books, as well as antique furniture are also presented. The total number of exhibits is about 120 thousand items. Galitskaya Street, 4-a. Opening hours: 9:00-17:30, day off - Monday.
Resurrection Cathedral. The building of the Austrian-Bavarian architecture school with clear features of classicism. The tops of the towers are made in the style of Gutsulskaya wooden architecture. Sheptytsky Square, 22.
Armenian Church. This building with two towers in Baroque style located near the market square was built in the 18th century. Two restorations made in the 19th and the 20th centuries significantly changed the building.
The interiors are fully preserved because in Soviet times the building was a museum of religion and atheism. Armenian Street, 6.
Other places of interest
One Hundred Meters. “One hundred meters” or simply “hundred” (“sotka”) is the name of the pedestrian part of Nezavisimosty Street. Its real length is about half a kilometer. This is the most popular walking area in Ivano-Frankivsk.
There are many outdoor cafes and restaurants, bookstores and boutiques. Every year new forged sculptures are placed on this street and the streets located nearby.
Fortifications (Bastion). This fragment of a defensive wall with a bastion is all that remains of the old fortifications of Stanislav fortress. Currently, the renovated complex hosts “Bastion” gallery - a shopping and entertainment complex with a terrace for walks, souvenir shops and boutiques. Fortechny (Krepostnoy) Lane, 1.
The City Lake. The lake that appeared in 1955 was called “Stanislavsky Sea”. The lake is one of the main recreational areas of Ivano-Frankivsk. The most romantic place is a bridge to the “Island of Love”. There is also a boathouse. Mazepa Street.
“Tsunami” Water Park. It is one of the largest water parks in Ukraine. The place has 6 pools and 12 water slides, jacuzzi, solarium, sauna, massage, fitness center. One of the pools, constructed specially for diving, is 12.5 meters depth.
In addition to the water park, the complex also includes an ice arena, restaurant, and hotel. Dovzhenko Street, 29. Opening hours: 10:00-22:30 (Saturday, Sunday - 9:00).
Pototskys’ palace. After the clan vanished, the palace belonged to Ministries of Defense of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, Polish republic and the USSR and was used as a military hospital. Due to this fact, it was preserved. Gospitalnaya Street, 3.
Adam Mitskevich Statue (1898). It is the second statue. The first one was destroyed in 1914 because of artillery firing. A. Mitskevich Street.
Ivano-Frankivsk city street
In the center of Ivano-Frankivsk
We have checked Ivano-Frankivsk hotels and, according to some reviews of visitors, the following hotels offer the best level of service.
Hotel “Nadia”. This hotel is located in the heart of Ivano-Frankivsk. It is the biggest hotel of the city. There are 244 rooms with all the comforts, including a phone, TV, fridge, Wi-Fi.
There is a restaurant (European and Ukrainian cuisine). Additional services: parking, barber, laundry, currency exchange, tours, translation services. Nezalezhnosti Street, 40. Phones: +380 342 72 70 77, +380 342 72 70 76.
Hotel “Reikartz Park Hotel”. This hotel is situated in the picturesque and quiet part of Ivano-Frankivsk, next to the city park and the lake.
38 cozy and modern rooms of different categories with individual style of decoration. Each room has a satellite TV, individually controlled climate, mini- bar, Wi-Fi.
The restaurant “Alpine Meadow” with views of the lake and the park - European cuisine combined with Ukrainian dishes. The bar and grill “Ranch” - European and American cuisine, grilled dishes.
Additional services include a sauna, conference room, meeting room, business center, translation services, children’s playground, laundry, transfer and parking. Mazepa Street, 146. Phone: +380 342 59 55 95.
Hotel “Black Castle”. The hotel is located on the outskirts of the city. It is built in Austro-Hungarian style of the 15th-16th centuries. The interior is made in the historical style of that period, thick stone walls, massive furniture.
32 comfortable rooms with all the amenities. All-day restaurant, a summer terrace in the form of a sailing frigate. The price includes breakfast, room service, parking, ticket service, taxi service, luggage storage, Wi-Fi in the lobby.
Additional services include laundry, translation services, guides, tours and transfer. Kalush Highway, 7. Phones: +380 98 304 70 08, +380 342 57 15 00.
Hotel “Auscoprut”. The hotel is located in the central part of Ivano-Frankivsk in a renovated building of the early 20th century, close to the train station.
25 rooms equipped with a phone, TV, fridge, mini-bar. The hotel has a restaurant and a Viennese cafe. The price includes breakfast. Additional services include a meeting room, parking, currency exchange. Hrunwaldska Street, 7/9. Phones: +380 3422 2 34 01, +380 3422 2 52 21.
Hotel “Stanislaviv”. It is a new modern hotel located in the center of the city. Hotel rooms are located on the 5th and 6th floors of the building.
21 comfortable rooms with all the amenities. Restaurant (Ukrainian cuisine). Chornovola Street, 7. Phones: +380 342 75 24 70, +380 67 355 02 77.
Hotel “Pid Tempel”. This hotel-museum is located in the heart of the historic part of Ivano-Frankivsk in the old mansion. It is situated near the monument of architecture - Tempel Synagogue.
11 comfortable non-smoking rooms with all the amenities, Wi-Fi. There is a room for people with disabilities. The lobby bar “Tsymes” - kosher ethnic Jewish cuisine. Additional services: parking, travel agency, museum, laundry, taxi. Strachenykh Street, 7a. Phones: +380 342 595 333, +380 342 718 411.