Izmail is a city located in Odessa region in the southern Ukraine. It is situated in southeastern part of the region on the Danube River, 80 kilometers from the Black Sea coast.
The city is the largest port on the Danube in Ukraine.
Population - 73,000 (2012).
Area code - +380 4841; postal code - 68600.
The foundation date is unknown. From the 12th century, there was a fortress there. It was an object of rivalry of the Russian and Turkish armies. July 26, 1770, the Russian army captured the fortress. In 1774, according to a peace treaty between the Russian Empire and Turkey, it was returned to Turkey.
By December 1790, Izmail fortress had heavy defense and was called unassailable but the famous Russian army commander A.V. Suvorov captured it that year. In 1791, it was returned to Turkey again. September 14, 1809, the Russian army once again captured it and once again it was returned to Turkey in 1856.
April 13, 1877, Izmail was captured by the Russian army fourth time. In 1918, the city was captured by Romania.
In 1940, Soviet government forced Romania to return the city to the USSR. From July 1941 to August 1944, it was under German and Romania armies control during the World War II.
From 1991, Izmail is the part of independent Ukraine.
The city has a port and a ship-repairing plant. Izmail stretches 13 km along the river Danube and it is located in the center of numerous and environmentally important lakes, not far from a well-known Danube biosphere reserve in the Danube delta.
The first Saturday in October is the City Day.
Izmail is included in the list of historically inhabited settlements of Ukraine.
The fortress of Izmail. The remains of buildings of the Turkish fortress of Izmail built in the 15th-16th centuries, taken by Russian troops and the Black Sea Cossacks under the command of Alexander Suvorov in 1790.
After the defeat of Russia in the Crimean War, the fortress of Izmail was demolished. Today, you can see some fragments of earthen ramparts and the grand defensive ditch (up to 11 meters deep). Krepostnaya Street, 1.
Pokrovsky cathedral is the main cathedral of Izmail. It was built in the center of the town on the site of an old wooden church of Turkish times in 1820-1831.
This cathedral was designed by architect A. Melnikov in the classical style. Originally, it was a simple domed church. In 1848, next to it, the 65-meter three-tiered bell tower was erected, the bells were cast from metal of captured Turkish cannons.
The oval colonnade was built in 1937. As a result, the shape of Pokrovsky church resembles the Kazan Cathedral in St. Petersburg. Suvorov Avenue, 31.
The monument to Suvorov. This monument, standing on the main avenue of Izmail (Suvorov Avenue), was created by the sculptor B. Edwards from Odessa for a memorial in Rymnik (Romania) in 1913.
Shortly after the outbreak of the First World War, the sculpture was evacuated. For a long time, it was standing in the sculptor’s studio in Odessa.
According to another version, the sculpture disappeared during the war, and the studio of Edwards had its copy, which he made specifically for Izmail. Only in 1945, the statue was moved to Izmail.
Izmail Art Gallery presents a collection of contemporary Ukrainian and Russian art, exhibition of arts and crafts, sections of Ukrainian, Russian and Western European art of the 16th-19th centuries, works of iconography, the art of the East.
This museum is based on an art collection made of works from Ministry of Culture and Artists’ Union of Ukraine and Russia, Odessa art museum, State Tretyakov Gallery, Russian Museum in St.Petersburg, State Hermitage, private collections as well as works of local artists. Suvorov Prospect, 19.
In the House of Izmail Artists’ Union (Benderskaya Street, 43), various studios can be found as well as a saloon-exhibition where works of local artists are exhibited.
Taras Shevchenko monument
The historical museum named after A.V.Suvorov. The museum is located in an old detached house which is a historical and architectural monument of the 19th century (Pushkin Street, 37). The building was constructed in 1899. The museum shows the great commander’s glory as well as memory of heroic deeds of the Ukrainian Cossacks in numerous Russian-Turkish wars.
The museum is rather special as it exhibits unique collections of uniform and armament of Russian and West-European armies, side- and fire-arms of the 16th-20th centuries, banners of Russian and Turkish armies of the 18th-19th centuries, paintings, graphic works and coins.
There is a branch of the museum - a diorama “Russian and Ukrainian Cossacks headed by A.V.Suvorov are conquering the fortress Izmail on December 11th, 1790”. Krepostnaya Street, 1-a.
The diorama was opened in 1973 in the oldest building of the city - a former Turkish mosque of the end of the 16th century. It is a monument of national importance, one of the few preserved samples of medieval Moslem architecture in Ukraine.
Izmail historical museum named after A.V.Suvorov and the diorama “Conquering the fortress Izmail” are in the list of tours in the south of Ukraine as well as of the program of international Danube cruise “From the Alps to the Black Sea”.
The museum of history and local study of Danube area. The museum possesses materials and statistic data on the history of Danube area inhabiting by Ukrainians, Russians, Bessarabian Bulgarians, Gagauzes, Greeks and other nationalities. Kotovsky Street, 51.
The museum of the Ukrainian Danube steamship-line. It is located in the highest building of Izmail - the administration of Ukrainian Danube steamship-line. The museum informs visitors about the history of the Ukrainian Danube steamship-line as well as of Danube area tightly linked with it. Krasnoflotskaya Street, 28.
Hotel “Premier Hotel”. This hotel is located in a renovated old building in the heart of Izmail. 10 comfortable rooms with all amenities are available.
All rooms are individually designed and decorated in pastel colors. The hotels has a restaurant (European cuisine), bar, summer terrace, wine cellar. Additional services: Wi-Fi, parking, laundry. Kirov Street, 11. Phones: +38 04841 4 83 65, +38 04841 4 83 75, +38 04841 4 88 76.
Mini Hotel “Old Town” is located in the historic center of Izmail, in a renovated part of the building, next to the monuments - Pokrovsky cathedral and the Greek-Catholic church, as well as a historical museum of Alexander Suvorov.
7 comfortable rooms with all amenities. The rooms are decorated in different colors. Front rooms overlook the Komsomol Park. There is a night bar-museum in the catacombs. Additional services: Wi-Fi, parking, excursions. Komsomolskaya Street, 40. Phones: +38 04841 2 02 43, +38 04841 4 84 20, +38 04841 4 84 21.