Mukachevo or Mukacheve is a city located in Zakarpattia region of Ukraine. It is an important industrial and cultural center of the region, standing on the Latoritsya River.
Population - 85,400 (2013).
Area code - +380 3131; postal code - 89600.
The settlement was probably the part of Kievan Rus from the 9th to the 11th centuries. It was captured by Hungarians in 1018. During the 15th century, the town became an important craft and trade center of the region.
In the 16th century, Mukachevo became the part of Transylvania Principality. In 1646, the first gymnasium was opened.
The town came under control of Austria as the part of the Kingdom of Hungary at the end of the 18th century. It was made a fortress-town of the Habsburg Monarchy. During 1796-1897, Mukachevo castle was an all-European political prison.
More Historical Facts…
Carpathian Ruthenia region was occupied by Czechoslovak army in 1919. In November 1938, the territory was re-annexed by Hungary as the part of the First Vienna Award.
In 1944, the Jewish population of the city was deported to concentration camps of Nazi Germany.
Before it, Mukachevo was the only town in Hungary with a Jewish majority. The Hungarian Jewish community was the last one in Europe to be subjected to deportation.
The Red Army forces captured Carpathian Ruthenia region at the end of 1944. The territory became the part of the Soviet Union.
The USSR began the policy of expulsion of the Hungarian population. In 1945, the city became the part of the Ukrainian SSR.
In 2002, it became the seat of the Roman Catholic diocese comprising Transcarpathia.
In the center of Mukachevo
Mukachevo is the second largest and economically developed city in the region after its administrative center Uzhhorod. It is located in the central part of Zakarpattia region, 42 km from the regional center.
Due to its very convenient location (40-50 km from the boundaries with Hungary and Slovakia and 90-100 km from the boundaries with Romania and Poland correspondingly), Mukachevo is a transportation juncture of several international ways.
The city is crossed by several railways: Moscow-Kiev-Budapest-Belgrade-Rome and Moscow-Kiev-Bratislava-Prague-Vienna as well as by highways: Kiev-Budapest-Vienna and Kiev-Prague.
Mukachevo developed on the left bank of the river with most of the population and the railway. An industrial zone is located on the south-eastern bank.
The city has Zakarpattia State Russian Drama Theater, a historical museum, a picture gallery, a lot of professional and amateur folk groups.
Every year, in January, the festival-contest of home-made wine “Chervene vino” takes place here.
Among the main places of interest are:
- Palanok castle;
- St. Nickolas convent;
- In the center of the city, there is a statue to a chimney-sweep.