It is one of the most ancient cities in Ukraine. East Slavic tribe of white Croatians founded their first settlements in the area before the 9th century when Ungvar turned into a fortified fortress.
In 903, Hungarians crossed the Carpathians and occupied the town defeating the army of prince Laborets on the territory of present Slovakia. There is an opinion that the name “Hungary” itself derives from the Hungarian name of Uzhhorod – Ungvar.
More Historical Facts…
The town continued widening its boundaries being ruled by the Hungarian kingdom. In 1241, Batyi Mongols burnt the town. In 1318, Hungarian feudal lords Drugets started ruling the town and it lasted 360 years. Philip Druget constructed a new castle which is preserved till nowadays.
In the 16th-17th centuries, the town grew economically but at the same time it turned into an arena of fight between the Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant religions. In 1707, the town became a residence of Ferets II Rakotsy, the leader of national liberation war of the Hungarian people.
On Septemebr 10, 1919, Zakarpattia area was passed to Czechoslovakian republic. In 1938, the city was passed to Hungary. On October 27, 1944, it was set free of Hungarian and German armies by Soviet troops. In 1945, Uzhhorod State University was opened.
In 1945, Zakarpattia Ukraine became a part of the Ukrainian SSR and the USSR. In January 1946, Uzhhorod received the status of the capital city of newly formed Zakarpattia region.
Since 1991, the city is the least populated and western regional center among 24 of those in Ukraine.
Uzhhorod is one of the biggest industrial centers of Across-the-Carpathians area. The industries include the manufacture of machine tools, furniture, veneer as well as food-processing industries.
The city is located on the height of about 120 km at the foot of the Carpathians, on the river Uzh. The river crosses the city, dividing it into a right-bank part where historical center is located and a left-bank part. It is located on the boundary with Slovakia, there are 2 checking points.
The climate is of moderate continental type, with hot summers and mild winters. In the north, Uzhhorod is protected from cold winds by the Carpathians so the climate in the city is influenced by this fact.
Average temperature is 9,7 degrees Celsius above zero, it is the lowest in January (2,8 degrees C below zero) and the highest in July (19,9 degrees C above zero).
In 1930s, Czech architects created an architectural ensemble of the city’s center in the form close to constructionism.
Uzhhorod Castle. It is one of the best preserved medieval fortifications on the territory of Ukraine. In its current form the castle was rebuilt after 1322, when the town became a possession of the Italian family Drugetti.
Nowadays, it is occupied by the Regional Museum of Local Lore presenting exhibitions of folk art, spiritual culture, ethnography, firearms. In the basement, you can find a “torture room” (the exhibits are recreated from medieval drawings, engravings).
There is a restaurant “Uzhhorod Castle” with a summer terrace, and Transcarpathian wines tasting room. Kapitulnaya Street, 33. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00, day off - Monday.
The Museum of Folk Architecture. Transcarpathian Museum of Folk Architecture and Life is a stylized ethnic village located in the heart of the city. The museum has examples of wooden architecture of different peoples of Transcarpathia. Kapitulnaya Street, 33-a. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00 (10:00-17:00 in winter), day off - Tuesday.
The House of Zhupanat (The Art Museum). This massive building on a hill in the center of the city was built to house the local administration (“zhupanat”).
Nowadays, it is the Art Museum named after J. Bokshay with an exhibition of works of Ukrainian, Hungarian, Russian and Western European artists. Zhupanatskaya Square, 3. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00, day off - Monday.
Goryanskaya Rotunda (Church of St. Anne). The most ancient church of Zakarpattia, a unique monument of the Roman-Byzantine architecture built in between the 10th and the 13th centuries.
Inside the church, frescoes created by Italian masters of the school of Giotto in 1360-1370 are preserved. Goryany, Museum Lane, 6.
The Holy Cross Cathedral. The main Christian church of the city built in 1642-1646. The initiator of its creation was Count Janos Drugetti who invited Jesuit monks to construct it.
After the liquidation of the Order of the Jesuits in 1773, the cathedral was given to the Greek Catholic diocese and was rebuilt in 1779. In 1991, the cathedral was returned to the Greek Catholics. Kapitulnaya Street, 9.
Catholic Church of St. George. Roman Catholic church built in the 17th century. In the 18th century, the church was rebuilt in the Baroque style. The bell tower has a clock running for more than 150 years now. Voloshin Street , 9.
Other places of interest
Korzo Street. Paved pedestrian street in the center of Uzhhorod connecting Koryatovich Square with Voloshin Street. Translated from the Italian “Korzo” means “a place for walking”.
This is a favorite place for walking among the citizens and visitors of the city. There are many cafes and shops, facades of old buildings are restored.
Linden (Sakura) Alley. Europe’s longest linden alley (2.2 km) stretching along Nezavisimosti (Independence) quay and Students quay. Due to the fact that different lime trees were planted here, the alley is blooming all summer.
In the spring, in late April - early May, at Pushkin Square and adjacent to the quay streets of Dovzhenko and Rakoczy hundreds of sakura trees are blooming. Thousands of tourists come to the city to enjoy this really beautiful and thrilling view.
Sakura is recognized as one of the sights of the city. Japanese ornamental cherry was brought here from Vienna in 1923, and now it is growing all over the city.
Botanical Garden. Botanical Garden of Uzhhorod National University was created in 1946. The total area of the garden is about 4.5 hectares. It is a monument of landscape architecture of national importance with exotic plants brought from all over the world.
The collection of the garden includes about 3,800 species of plants. I. Olbrakht Street, 6. Opening hours: 8:00-16:00 (tours: 9:00-14:00), days off - Saturday, Sunday.
Wine tasting room “Chardonnay”. This wine tasting room was opened in the old city center by winemaker A. Kovacs in 2007. It can accommodate up to 60 visitors at a time.
At first, visitors are watching a movie about wine-making in Transcarpathian region. After it, they can taste wines presented by the most famous wineries of Transcarpathia. Voloshin Street, 18-b.
Uzhhorod places of interest
Uzhhorod former synagogue
Museum of Folk Architecture
Main reasons to visit Uzhhorod
Legends and ghosts of local castle. The castle is a trustful guard of the town and its spiritual defender, one of the most ancient in Ukraine.
A pedestrian bridge which fulfills wishes. One of the most ancient and famous bridges in the city links 2 absolutely different parts of Uzhhorod - the Old town and the New town.
Lime-tree alley. The alley is in blossom all summer long due to lime-trees of different sorts.
Blossom of sakura. At late April - early May, the city absolutely changes: hundreds of sakura trees are in blossom - there are pink-white flowers everywhere.
A Museum in Vedmina Yama (“Witch’s Pit”). It is one of the first museums in the open air in Ukraine, Zakarpattia museum of folk architecture which is located on the place of former famous Vedmina Yama (“Witch’s Pit”). In medieval time, Zakarpattia witches who were linked with the devil were burnt there. Nowadays, the museum is a unique ensemble of the Ukrainian national heritage.
Korzo. Korzo consists of shops, cafes and banks. This is the trade heart of the city. This is how former owners of the town called it - they were earls Drugetti from Napoli. This is the street which preserved the old design of Uzhhorod best of all in the whole city, the most beautiful part of the city.
There is a number of hotels in the city. After reading some visitors’ reviews, we can recommend the following hotels with quite good level of service.
Hotel “Uzhgorod”. The hotel is located in the center of the city, on the waterfront, close to the railway station and the airport. 128 comfortable rooms, single and double. The price includes breakfast, parking, Wi-Fi.
Restaurant “Uzhgorod” - a classic interior, piano, Ukrainian and European cuisine. Additional services include a conference room, taxi call, transfer, laundry, currency exchange, ATM, booking air and train tickets. B. Khmelnitsky Square, 2. Phones: +38 0312 61 90 50 (reservation), +38 0312 61 90 70 (management).
Hotel “Old Continent”. The hotel is located in the center of Uzhhorod. The new building in Art Nouveau style, the atmosphere of the 19th century. Interior: marble, crystal, rare woods, antique furniture.
30 rooms are divided by style: classic and modern (Art Deco). Each room has a unique design, autonomous climate control, Wi-Fi.
On the ground floor there is a restaurant (European and Ukrainian cuisine). Additional services include a conference room, tours, parking. S. Petefi Square, 4. Phone: +38 0312 66 93 66.
Hotel “Olymp”. This hotel complex is situated next to the city park “Bozdoshskiy” and the Uzh River. Distance to the airport - 2 km, railway station - 2 km, the Slovak border - 3 km.
36 comfortable rooms with all the comforts of European standards. Restaurant “Olymp” (European, Ukrainian and Transcarpathian cuisine) . Additional services: parking, billiards, bowling, ATM, pool, sauna, gym, 2 tennis courts, guided tours. Glentsa Street, 4. Phones: +38 0312 64 33 44, +38 0312 64 08 79.
Hotel “Ungvarskiy”. Fitness center rebuilt on the site of the hotel with the same name (1876). Bath complex, sports club, recreational and rehabilitation center, gym.
44 rooms with all the comforts, Wi-Fi. There is a restaurant, and a wine tasting room. Elektrozavodska Street, 29. Phones: +38 0312 61 65 65 (reception), +38 066 346 00 55 (cell).
Mini-hotel “Villa Pi”. This small two-story hotel is located in the historic center of Uzhhorod , close to the castle and the cathedral.
8 comfortable rooms. Wine restaurant in the basement and a terrace. The price includes breakfast, Wi-Fi, parking. It is not allowed to smoke in the hotel. Additional services include laundry, tours, transfer. Kapitulnaya Street, 22. Phone: +38 0312 61 40 01.
Mini-hotel “Mala Praha”. It is located in the historic district of the city, 1 km from the city center.
7 comfortable rooms of different categories. Each room has air conditioning, cable TV. There is cafe-bar and a summer terrace. Additional services: sauna, Wi-Fi, parking, transfer, laundry. Bachinsky Street, 68. Phones: +38 0312 63 95 68, +38 066 805 80 80 (cell).