Drohobych (also spelled Drogobych, Drogobich, Drohobich) is a city located in Lviv oblast of Ukraine, administrative center of Drohobych district. Drohobych is situated at the confluence of the Seret and the Tysmenytsia rivers about 90 km from Lviv city by highway.
Drohobych has the population of about 77,000 (2012).
The phone code is +380 3244; the postal codes - 82100-82119.
First mentioning of Drohobych settlement was in Lviv records in 1387. In 1392, first Latin Catholic church construction began on the foundations of ancient Ruthenian buildings. Drohobych town received Magdeburg right in the 15th century. That time it was a significant center of salt industry.
Drohobych town was captured by Cossacks during the Khmelnytsky Uprising in 1648. A lot of Poles, Uniates and Jews were killed. Austria received Drohobych after the partition of Poland in 1772. The town became large center of oil and natural gas industries after the discovery of oil and natural gas resources in the region.
The region of Drohobych became the part of Poland again after the World War I. Ukrainian private gymnasium was opened in Drohobych in 1928. The population of the town was about 40,000 at the end of 1920th. The city had one of the largest oil refinery (Polmin) in Europe.
The territories of Poland Republic were divided again between Nazi Germany and the USSR in September, 1939. Drohobych city region was attached to the USSR and became the administrative center of Drohobych oblast. The town was captured by Nazi Germany army soon after beginning of the war against the USSR in July, 1941. That time Drohobych had large Jewish community. Large ghetto was formed and later, in June 1943, liquidated by Nazis.
The city remained the status of Drohobych oblast center after the World War II until 1959 when the region became the part of Lviv oblast of the Ukrainian SSR. Drohobych was playing an important role in Ukrainian economy during Soviet times having developed food, light, machine building, oil-refining and woodworking industries.
Drohobych tower. The tower is the oldest surviving building in the city of the early medieval period. Strong stone and wooden fortifications were built there in the 13th century during the Galicia-Volyn principality. In the 16th century monumental Roman Catholic church of St. Bartholomew was built on the territory of the castle, and the tower was used as its bell tower.
In the 19th century all the other fortifications were dismantled, the bell tower received the third level with arched windows. In front of the tower there is a monument to the medieval scholar Yu. Drohobych. He was the rector of Bologna University and teacher of N. Copernicus. Address: Drohobych, Shevchenko Str., 1.
Roman Catholic Church of St. Bartholomew. The church was built by the order of Polish King Wladyslaw Jagiello in 1392, but consecrated only in 1511. Massive Gothic building was constructed on the site of the palace of Galicia-Volyn principality. Defensive tower located nearby was used as bell tower of the church.
Over the centuries the building was reconstructed several times. In Soviet times it was used as a warehouse. Today the church belongs to the Roman Catholic community of the city. Wall paintings of the 19th century are preserved in the interiors. Address: Drohobych, Shevchenko Str., 1.
Church of St. Yur. The wooden church of St. Yur is one of the most beautiful works of Galician folk architecture. It was built at the end of 15th - early 16th century. The church was brought to Drohobych from the Precarpathian village Nadeevo in 1656 and mounted in place of the burnt. In 1678, the bell tower was built. The interior is painted with magnificent frescos of S. Meditskiy, old carved iconostasis is preserved.
The church was repaired several times, but didn’t lose its original appearance. Today the part of Drohobych local history museum collection is exhibited there. Another part of the exhibition is located in a nearby wooden Church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross (1613). Address: Drohobych, Solyoniy Stavok, 25. Opening hours: 9:00-18:00 (Friday-Sunday - 9:00-17:00), day off - Wednesday.
Drohobych city architecture
Church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross. This wooden church is considered one of the best buildings constructed in the style of Galician folk architecture. The church was founded in the 16th century. But in 1661 as a result of the reconstruction it lost its initial appearance.
The paintings of the 17th century and unique pieces of iconography of the 15th-18th centuries are preserved. The church is located in the Zvarychy district of the city, on the territory of the fire station. Nearby there is a wooden belfry of the 17th century. Address: Drohobych, Zvaritskaya Str., 9.
Trinity Cathedral. The cathedral of the Blessed Trinity was built in 1690-1709 in baroque style as a Catholic church of the monastery of Carmelites. In 1808 the church moved to Basilians and was consecrated as the Greek-Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity.
In 1909, the iconostasis was installed. In the 30s of the 20th century the walls were painted by I. Bal. In recent years, the Trinity Cathedral in Drohobych has been completely renovated. Address: Drohobych, Truskavetskaya Str., 2.
Choral Synagogue. It was the largest synagogue in Eastern Galicia, built in 1842-1865 years for the large Jewish community of Drohobych that played an important role in the economic life of the city. After the Second World War it was used as salt warehouse, then a furniture store. Currently the building is in dilapidated condition. The reconstruction projects are discussed. Address: Drohobych, Stryiskaya Str.
Museum Drohobychina. Local History Museum “Drohobychina” is located in a building constructed in 1894. The exhibition is based on the collections of Count Lyantskoronskiy, Hirovskaya Jesuit School and Samborski museum. In 2001, the museum received the paintings of the writer and artist B. Schultz, who was born and lived in Drohobych. Address: Drohobych, I. Franko Str., 32. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00, day off - Wednesday.
Among the other attractions of the city are Theater of Music and Drama named after Yu.Drohobych; Bruno Schultz Museum; City Philharmonic Society; monastery of St. Peter and St. Paul.
Hotel “Drohobych”. This tourist complex is located in the very center of the city. Main services: cafe-bar, sauna, beauty salon, parking. Address: Drohobych, Shevchenko Str., 1. Contact phones: +380 3244 2 00 49, +380 3244 3 58 84.
Hotel “Lemon”. The hotel is located at the entrance to Drohobych from Truskavets. Main services: restaurant (Ukrainian cuisine), sauna, pool, gym, parking, excursions. Address: Drohobych, Kozlovskiy Str., 1. Contact phones: +380 3244 1 02 62, +380 3244 1 02 72.