The city is named after the river Berda that formed Berdyanskaya spit at the foot of which it is located.
At the end of the 18th century, this area was rapidly inhabited. In the early 19th century, economic needs of the Russian Empire required a port on the Azov Sea coast. In 1827, state lands near the docks were given out to settlers. This year is considered the date of the town foundation, the settlement was named Berdy.
The first dock was constructed the same year. In 1830, the city was named Novo-Nogaisk. The name “Berdyansk” was given to the town in 1842.
In 1855, during the Crimean War, the town was approached by English-French squadron and fired from the ships. It was almost destroyed, all the dock constructions were burnt. In 1898, the port was reconstructed - wooden pierces were replaced by stone ones, a new pier was constructed.
In 1930, an art museum and a museum of local study were constructed. On October 7, 1941, Berdyansk was occupied by German troops. On September 17, 1943, it was set free. Since that time September 17 is celebrated as Berdyansk City Day.
On September 1, 2004, the construction of 175 km waterway was finished. It was lasting 18 years. The waterway stretches from Kakhovsky main canal P-9 (starting at the river Dnieper) to the city.
On January 11, 2005, the city became Ukrainian resort of state importance.
On June 1, 2006, a water park - the largest in Ukraine - was opened at the foot of Berdyansky spit. It was the first large construction of a new object of tourist infrastructure in the city since early 90s of the 20th century.
It is a transportation juncture of the region: highways and railways, a seaport and an airport. The city was developed due to the seaport constructed in a convenient harbor.
The closest cities are: Donetsk - 198 km (north-east), Mariupol - 86 km (east); Zaporizhia (the center of the region) - 200 km.
Berdyansk is a mud and climatic resort. Estuaries and salt lakes located in the mouth of the river Berda at the foot of Berdyansk spit contain unique curing mud and mineral springs.
Water Park “Cape of Good Hope”. It is one of the largest water parks in Ukraine opened in 2006. You can have a snack in the cafe or restaurant. There are VIP-arbors in the Turkish style. In the evening, the water park offers exclusive parties with DJs and stars of show business. Makarov Street, 2-v. Opening hours: 10:00-18:00.
Zoo “Safari”. The private open air zoo “Safari” was opened in 2004. It occupies 2.5 hectares. The area is well laid out: aviaries, ponds, alpine garden, recreational facilities and a cafe. The zoo has about 60 species of exotic animals. At the entrance you can buy food to feed the animals. Volkov Street. Opening hours: 9:00-21:00.
The lighthouse (architectural monument). The lighthouse was opened in 1838. One of the oldest buildings of the city has hardly changed in appearance for one and a half centuries. It is located at the tip of Berdyansk Spit. Makarov Street, 185-g.
The seafront and central avenue. Original sculptures like “The Bull Breadwinner”, “The Plumber” (a man sticking out of the hatch), “The Armchair of Wishes” can be found there.
Berdyansk Spit. The pearl of the city which is a 17-kilometer strip of land, stretching out to sea. Throughout there are quite clean beaches and numerous resorts, discos.
Dalnyaya (Distant) Spit. Protected area with lakes, beaches, lots of nesting birds. It is a good place to set the tents.
The park of of P.P. Schmidt. The park is located in the center of the city. Total area is about 3.5 hectares.
Museum of local lore. The museum exhibitions:
- “Our fellow countrymen in science, culture and literature”,
- “The history and nature of the region from the period of antiquity to the present day”,
- “The interior of Ukrainian village house of the 19th century”.
Pobeda Avenue, 14. The museum is open daily (day off - Friday) from 9:00 to 17:00.
Museum of history of Berdyansk. The museum was opened September 17, 2005 in the building of former Museum of Art, the branch of Museum of local lore. Dyumin Street, 15.
Art Museum of I.I. Brodsky. One of the oldest museums in Ukraine. The museum has unique and diverse collection of works of art from the second half of the 19th century to the present. Karl Marx Street, 29.
Memorial House-Museum of P.P. Schmidt. Schmidt Street, 8.
Berdyansk teachers training institute
Berdyansk travel tips
In general, Berdyansk resort is one of the best places to rest in the Sea of Azov area. The sanatoriums of the city have everything you need for rest and treatment - medical facilities, best practices, healing sulfide silt mud and mineral water.
On the territory of Berdyansk spit, there are 70 health institutions: 8 health centers, 17 children’s sports and recreational facilities, 45 recreation centers, which can accommodate up to 15 thousand people.
In addition, the city is famous for its golden beaches with yacht club and windsurfing club. Hang-glider flights and water scooter rides are offered.
Urban transport is presented by minibuses and buses. However, the favorite transport of local people is a bicycle. The buses, taxis or boats are available to all the places of public entertainment.
The water as elsewhere in the Sea of Azov is turbid, but warm. The swimming season lasts from mid-May to mid-September.
The temperature of sea water is higher than that of the Black Sea coast of the Crimea and the Caucasus. In May, the water warms to 26 degrees C, and up to 30 degrees C in June (3-5 degrees higher than in Yalta). In winter, the sea often freezes, cold winds blow.
Berdyansk and its surroundings have a great cell coverage. All the main cell operators in Ukraine (MTS, Kyivstar, Life, Beeline, Utel) are presented there.
For a small fee you can have access to Internet at local Internet-clubs. The city has local networks connected to Internet, ADSL, wireless access.
A lot of guests of the city are fond of walking along the seafronts, quiet streets of the coastal areas or noisy central avenues and squares.