Kramatorsk is a city situated in the northern part of Donetsk region of Ukraine. It is an important railroad junction and one of the largest Ukrainian machine building centers.
Population - 165,500 (2013).
Area code - +380 6264; postal codes - 84300-84390.
According to archaeological data, people inhabited the territory of present day city and its nearest suburbs from ancient times.
In the north-western outskirts, stone mines and silicon processing workshops of the Neolithic are found. They still existed in the early copper era.
In the second half of the 18th century, the territory was rapidly inhabited, first of all by the Cossacks.
More Historical Facts…
In 1868, Kursk-Kharkov-Azov railway was constructed and, near the river Kazyonny Torets, Kramatorskaya railway station was built.
Its objective was to organize a double track for trains coming in the opposite direction. In 1878, a branch of Donetsk Kamennougolnaya railway was joined to it. Thus, Kramatorskaya turned into a railway juncture.
In the station area, a settlement with the same name was formed. In the early 20th century, the settlement was called Kramatorovka, in the 20s and the 30s - Kramatorskaya.
In the early 20th century, the population was over 12,000. There was a hospital, 2 schools and a professional school. In 1926, it received the town settlement status.
In 1932, Kramatorsk turned into a city. In 1940, over 30,000 workers worked at local plants as well as 5,000 engineers. After the World War II, destroyed plants were reconstructed and over 10 new industrial objects were built.
Today, it is an important center of Ukrainian machine building for metallurgical, coal and transport industries. Also, jewelry industry is highly developed (about 10% of all Ukrainian jewelry production).
The main places of interest:
- The police station #1 - former detached house of metallurgic plant vice-director E.Protse;
- A private house with an observatory in Tikhy Lane (1926);
- The former palace of culture (theater) named after Pushkin (1930s), restored in 1946;
- The palace of culture named after Lenin (Shkolnaya Street);
- The palace of culture “Stroitel” (1954);
- The palace of culture and technique in Lenin square;
- “Zamok” (“Castle”) cafe.