Chernihiv is an ancient Slavonic city. In the 9th century, the settlement was the center of eastern Slavonic tribe of the Northerners. At the end of the 9th century, it joined the Kievan Rus state. It was first time mentioned in chronicles in 904.
In 1024-1036 and 1054-1239, the town was economic and political center of Chernihiv princedom. In 1239, it was destroyed by Batyi’s horde. In the second half of the 14th century, the town was seized by the Great Lithuanian principality. In 1503, after the war, Lithuania lost it to Russia.
In 1618, the town was captured by Poland according to Ceylon armistice. In 1623, it obtained Magdeburg right. The inhabitants of the town participated in the war of liberation in 1648-1654. In 1654, Chernihiv became the part of the Russian state.
More Historical Facts…
Since 1679, there was a printing-house in the town. Since 1782, it was a center of Chernihiv region ruled by general-governor, since 1797 - the capital city of Malorossian guberniya, since 1802 - Chernihiv guberniya administrative center.
On January 19, 1918, Soviet power was established in the city. In 1959, a new theater named after T.G. Shevchenko was opened and it was an important event in cultural life of the region.
The industrial growth of the city entailed the population growth as well and by 1979 it was about 240,000.
In 1980, a new plan of the city reconstruction was adopted and a hotel-restaurant complex “Gadetsky” (1981) was built as well as a cinema “Pobeda” (“Victory”) (1984).
In 1986, there was the most awful tragedy which Chernihiv experienced during the whole period after the World War II - an accident at Chernobyl nuclear power station.
A lot of local people took part in fighting the disaster and lost their lives and health. In order to commemorate the 10th anniversary of this national tragedy a bronze monument was erected in Heroes Alley.
Trinity Cathedral (1679-1695). Stunning architecture (the Ukrainian Baroque style). The bell tower (58 meters) is open to visitors - the best view of Chernihiv. Tolstoy Street, 92, opening hours: 10:00-17:00.
Transfiguration Cathedral. One of the oldest Christian churches in the territory of Ukraine, a unique example of ancient Russian architecture. Igor Svyatoslavovych, the hero of “The Song of Igor’s Campaign” is buried here.
The interior has the fragments of ancient frescoes, a magnificent iconostasis of the 18th century. The house of archbishop (1780) is located nearby. Today, it is an archive. Preobrazhenskaya Street, 1.
Elias Monastery (Anthony Caves). The ancient shrine of Chernihiv. The first cave church and the monastery were founded in 1069. Through Elijah church (the 12th century.) you can get into the caves. There are guided tours. Uspensky Street, 33, opening hours: 10:00-18:00.
Yeletsky Assumption Monastery (the 11th century). Ancient caves of the Old Russian period are preserved. After the reconstruction of the 17th century, architectural ensemble received the features of the Ukrainian Baroque. The interior has the fragments of ancient frescos. Knyaz Cherny Street, 1.
Yekaterininskaya church. Church of St. Catherine is considered a symbol of the city. The church in the Ukrainian Baroque style was built on the site of an ancient temple of Kievan Rus period. Mir Avenue, 6-a.
Pyatnitskaya church. Classic monument of the Old Russian architecture built at the turn of the 12th-13th centuries. During the Second World War, it was destroyed. In 1962, it was fully restored. Hetman Polubotka Street, 3.
Church of St. Michael and Theodore. The church is situated on the banks of the river Strizhen. Now, it houses a military hospital. Hetman Polubotka Street, 40.
Historical Museum of Tarnovsky. The museum features more than 130 thousand exhibits relating to different periods of the history of Chernihiv region since ancient times to the present.
The museum has rich collection of archaeological finds, ancient books, rare documents, items of the Cossack era. Gorky Street, 4. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00 (Saturday, Sunday - 10:00-18:00), day off - Thursday.
Military-Historical Museum. Exposition is devoted to Chernihiv during the Second World War, the partisans, prisoners of the camps, defense of the city in 1941, its liberation in 1943. In the courtyard of the museum there is a small exhibition of military equipment. Shevchenko Street, 55-a, opening hours: 9:00-17:00, days off - Monday, Tuesday.
Museum of Art. The museum has more than five thousand exhibits - works of Ukrainian, Russian, Italian, Dutch, Flemish, French, and German masters of the 17th-19th centuries. Gorky Street, 6, opening hours: 9:00-16:50, day off - Monday.
House-Museum of Kotsyubinsky. Literary-Memorial Museum of Kotsyubinsky is opened in the house where the writer lived from 1898 to 1913. Kotsyubinsky Street, 5. Opening hours: 9:00-17:30 (Saturday, Sunday - 10:00-17:30).
Museum of Architecture (Borisoglebsky cathedral). The cathedral was built in the 12th century on the foundations of an ancient stone structure of the 11th century, it was rebuilt several times. In the middle of the 20th century, it was restored in the Old Russian style. Preobrazhenskaya Street, 1, opening hours: 10:00-18:00.
Chernihiv Collegium. This openwork building with a tall bell tower was built at the beginning of the 18th century with some elements of the Old Russian architecture. Preobrazhenskaya Street, 1.
Land Bank. The former building of the Noble and Peasant Land Bank. Two-story brick house built in modern style. Since 1974, the building houses Chernihiv Scientific Library. Mir Avenue, 41.
Philharmonic. Building in Neo-Russian style. Mir Avenue, 15.
House of Tarnovsky. Pseudo-Gothic building constructed in the late 19th century. Shevchenko Street, 63.
Manor of Glebov. This manor appeared on the outskirts of the city at the end of the 19th century. It was built in the Neo-Gothic style with a watchtower. Shevchenko Street, 97.
Other places of interest
Detinets or Val (Rampart). The oldest part of the city, a hill on the high bank of the Desna River. It is the place where the complex of fortifications of the city was located.
After the demolition of Chernihiv fortress in the 19th century, the area was turned into a park. 12 cast iron cannons of the 17th century are placed there. They are considered a hallmark of the city. Preobrazhenskaya Street, 1.
Chernaya Mogila. According to the legend, it is the site where Prince Cherny, the legendary founder of the city, was buried. On the mound, there is a memorial obelisk. Knyaz Cherny Street, 4.
The City Garden (central park). The park has a summer theater, rides, circus, and fountains. Throughout the year, it is a place of various cultural events and festivals. Shevchenko Street, 59.
Lights and music fountain. On August 24, 2008, a fountain with lights and music was opened in the city. It is operated by a special computer program which adjusts streams of water, music and light.
The fountain was built on donations. Chernihiv fountain differs from the like in Ukraine by its unique bowl, the rim of which has broken forms.
Hotel “Chernihiv”. A modern three-star hotel opened in 2011. It is located in the picturesque parkland on the bank of the Desna River.
50 comfortable rooms of different categories equipped with air conditioning, electronic locks, cable TV, mini-bars, in-room safe, Wi-Fi. There are non-smoking rooms. Restaurant “Parmesan” - Ukrainian and European cuisine.
Shevchenko Street, 103-a. Contact phone: +380 462 64 64 67.
Hotel “Ukraine”. This hotel is located in the center of Chernihiv, 200 meters from the central square. It also offers tours of the city and the region.
The hotel has 90 rooms of different categories. In each room there is a hallway and a bathroom with shower and toilet, cable TV, air conditioning, in-room safe, fridge, phone, Wi-Fi. There is room for people with disabilities. Restaurant - Ukrainian cuisine, and sushi studio.
Mir Avenue, 33. Contact phones: +380 462 67 41 77, +380 462 69 90 36.
Hotel “Pridesnyansky”. The hotel is situated on the bank of the Desna River in the park in a remote area of the city. There are suites, junior suites, single and double rooms. All rooms with private facilities, TV, fridge, most with air conditioning, Wi-Fi. There is a cafe with 60 seats, 2 banquet halls.
Shevchenko Street, 99-a. Contact phones: +380 462 95 49 05, +380 462 95 48 02.
Hotel “Bryansk”. The tourist complex located in the park area near the Desna River. The complex includes a five-story main building, connected with a two-story building with a restaurant (European and Ukrainian cuisine, live music), banquet facilities and a nightclub. There are 52 rooms of different categories.
Shevchenko Street, 103. Contact phones: +380 4622 3 36 46, +380 4622 3 81 56, +380 4622 3 07 18, +380 4622 3 06 82.
Recreation Complex “The Ranch Club”. This country complex is located on the opposite bank of the Desna River, a 15-minute walk from Detinets (across the pedestrian bridge).
Closed area, private beach, sauna, Wi-Fi. 8 comfortable double rooms, as well as 3 comfortable double cabins. Restaurant: Cafe Bar, European cuisine. Additional services: fishing, boating, horseback riding, biking, paintball.
Pervaya Naberezhnaya Street, 33. Contact phones: +380 462 61 15 44, +380 462 61 15 43, +380 462 97 22 57.
Recreation Complex “Golden Coast”. This tourist complex is situated in the green belt of Chernihiv, on the bank of the Desna River, near one of the most popular places of the city - “Golden” beach.
3 comfortable guest houses and VIP-house. Restaurant “Golden Coast” - a classic European and national Ukrainian cuisine.
Beregovaya Street. Contact phone: +380 462 61 30 04.