Kremenchug or Kremenchuk is a city located in Poltava region of Ukraine. It is an important railway junction and river port of the region.
The largest part of the city lies on the left bank of the Dnieper River, the smaller one (former Kryukov) - on the right bank.
Population - 226,000 (2013).
Area code - +380 5366; postal codes - 39600-39689.
In 1638, Kremenchug fortress was erected, its design was worked by the French military engineer Giyom Levasser de Bonplan.
The settlement acquired the town status in 1765. Residents of the settlement took part in peasants’ revolts at the end of the 16th century and wars of the 17th century. In 1661-1663, it was the center of Kremenchug regiment, in 1765-1783 - the administrative center of Novorossiysk region.
On September 8, 1941, Kremenchug was occupied by German troops. On September 29, 1943, it was set free. This day is marked as the City Day.
During the war, the city was almost completely destroyed. It was rapidly restored after its liberation.
Present day city has developed important metallurgical and engineering industries producing steel castings, rolling stock, heavy trucks and harvesters. Iron ore is mined in the vicinity, and oil from the river’s left-bank area is refined here.
In 1954, the construction of a large hydroelectric station began just above Kremenchug, about 14 km from it. It was completed in 1959.
Kremenchug water reservoir was created for the hydroelectric station.
The reservoir is one of the six water reservoirs on the Dnieper River, located in central Ukraine. This is the largest by area water reservoir in Ukraine.
The main parameters of the reservoir:
- total area - 2252 sq. km.;
- total volume of contained water - 13.5 cu. km;
- reservoir length - 149 km;
- maximum width - 28 km;
- maximum depth - 28 m;
- average depth - 6 m.
Kremenchug reservoir is important for fishing, several fish farming companies are situated on its banks. It is a place for recreation and fishing.
The dam of the reservoir, constructed between 1959 and 1961, is located 15 km to the west of the city near Svetlovodsk.
The city stretches from the south to the north, its length from the west to the east doesn’t exceed 8 km.
It consists of two main parts:
- the left-bank (historically the city of Kremechug);
- the right-bank (historically the city of Kryukov).
Most of the plants and the population are located in the left-bank area.
On Kryukovskaya side, there are 2 plants – Kryukovsky railway carriage-making plant and a steel mill.
Kremenchug places of interest
Today, there are about 50 various churches in the city.
The Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God. This church, built in 1887, is in the list of monuments of architecture of the city. Makarenko Street, 107.
Transfiguration Church. It was built on the site of the Cossacks church (1730-1930). 50 years of October Street, near the river Sukhoi Kagamlik.
Saint Nicholas Cathedral. It is a former Catholic church. 29th September Street, 16/34.
Christian Roman Catholic Church. Sumskaya Street, 82, at the crossroads of Schorsa and Sumskaya streets.
The chapel on the railway station. Privokzalnaya Square.
The museum of local lore. The museum has more than 60 thousand exhibits. The paleontologic collection of the museum is the largest in the region.
The exhibition “It should not be forgotten” was created in 1991. It is dedicated to prisoners of concentration camps and ostarbaiters from Kremenchug. It is the most informational exhibition on this topic in Ukraine.
The main themes of the museum:
- geological history, climate, water resources, minerals, flora and fauna of the area;
- the history of the region from ancient times to the end of the 19th century;
- Kremenchug at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries;
- Kremenchug in the years of the Second World War;
- the city after the war;
- present day city.
The museum is located at Oktyabrskaya Street, 2. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00, on Wednesday and Thursday it is open only to excursion groups.
Pedagogical memorial museum of A.S. Makarenko. The museum was opened in 1951, in the house where Anton Makarenko lived in 1905-1911, 1917-1919. It was the first museum in the USSR named after the pedagogue. Makarenko Street, 44.
The stele in honor of the 400th anniversary of Kremenchug. The monument was opened on Revolution Square in September 1971. Nowadays, it is one of the symbols of Kremenchug.
The monument to V.I. Lenin. This monument is placed in the square at the entrance to Pridneprovsky park.
The monument to Soldier-Liberator in Oktyabrsky Square. The city was liberated after heavy fights on September 29, 1943.
The pike from Kremenchug. The sculpture of a pike was installed in Pridneprovsky park in 2009. In the city there is a belief that if the lovers put their hands in the mouth of this pike, they will be together forever.
The monument to plumbers. The monument was created by means of employees of local water supply company in 2005. Heroes of Brest Lane, 35-a.
The rock “Granite landmark.” This granite rock on the bank of the Dnieper (on the waterfront) is a geological monument of nature.
A.S. Pushkin Boulevard. The boulevard starts from G.I. Petrovsky palace. It is one of the most beautiful streets in Kremenchug (length - about 600 meters). In the center of the boulevard, there is a public garden.
“Alpine Hill” garden. This garden with waterfalls, fountains, flowers, decorative plants is located at the territory of the river station. In this kingdom of green you can find bronze sculptures of fairy tales characters. It is a popular place among residents and visitors of the city.
The house of the merchant Churkin. Various styles and epochs are mixed in the architecture of this mansion. Ivan Prikhodko Street, 43/13.