Lubny city, Ukraine

The city of Poltava oblast.

Lubny overview

Lubny is the fourth largest city of the Poltava region of Ukraine. Located about 144 km northwest of Poltava, this is an important economic and cultural center of the region and the whole country.

The population of Lubny is about 46,000 (2016), the area - 45 sq. km.

The phone code - +380 5361, the postal codes - 37500-37509.

Lubny city flag

Lubny city flag

Lubny city coat of arms

Lubny city coat of arms

Lubny city map location


Lubny history

Lubny in the 10th-17th centuries

Lubny is the oldest known town in the Poltava region. In 988, a small wooden fortress was founded on the bank of the Sula River by Vladimir the Great, the Grand Prince of Kyiv. It was one of the fortresses of the defensive line protecting the southern borders of Kievan Rus from nomads.

In August 1107, near Lubny, the Grand Prince of Kyiv Sviatopolk II Iziaslavich, together with Vladimir II Monomakh and other princes, inflicted a heavy defeat on the Polovtsi leaded by Boniak and Sharukan (The Battle of the Sula River). This event is reflected in the historical document known as The Hypatian Codex. In 1239, Lubny was destroyed during the Mongol invasion.

In the 14th-16th centuries, this settlement was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. After the unification of Lithuania and the Polish Kingdom (Lublin Union, 1569), Lubny became part of the Commonwealth.

In the second half of the 16th century, it became the property of the Polish princely family of Vyshnevetski. In the 17th century, on the Castle Hill, near the town limits, the residence of the Vyshnevetski princes was built.

In 1591, Lubny received Magdeburg rights, seal and coat of arms from King Sigismund III Vasa. In 1619, Isaiah Kopinsky, a Ruthenian Orthodox metropolitan, founded Mgarsky Savior Transfiguration Monastery in the vicinity of Lubny, which later became one of the centers of Orthodoxy in the Left-bank Ukraine.

More historical facts…

In 1637-1638, Lubny was one of the centers of the Cossack and peasant uprisings. In 1640, there were 2,646 households in Lubny, a trade route from Russia to the Crimea passed through the town.

In July 1648, during the Khmelnytsky Uprising, also known as the Cossack-Polish War, Lubny was captured by the rebels. In 1654, as part of the Left-bank Ukraine, Lubny became part of the Tsardom of Russia.

Lubny in the Russian Empire

In 1707, a botanical garden for growing medicinal plants and a state pharmacy were established in Lubny. In 1708-1709, during the Northern War, the residents of the town took part in battles against units of the Swedish army. Before the Battle of Poltava (1709), Lubny was the largest town on the territory of the present Poltava region.

In 1734, the Lubny Treaty was signed in the town - the Russian leadership over the Zaporozhye Army was established. In 1809, the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin was built. In 1859, there were 3,995 people in Lubny, 6 Orthodox churches, a hospital, a spiritual, county and parish schools, a post station, 2 factories, a state pharmacy.

In 1872, a men’s gymnasium was opened, in 1878 - a women’s gymnasium. In 1884, the population was 5,357 people, in 1895 - 12,445 people. In 1885, in the village of Kruglik near Lubny, Ekaterina Nikolaevna Skarzhinskaya opened the first private museum on the territory of Ukrainian lands.

In 1901, the Kyiv-Kharkiv railroad began to function. The railway passed through Lubny and contributed to the development of local industry and trade. During the revolutionary events of 1905-1907, the town proclaimed the self-governing Lubny Republic.

In 1910, there were 12,786 residents and 7 churches in Lubny. In 1912, a scientific research station for medicinal plants was established in the town. This was the first research station of medicinal plants in the Russian Empire.

In 1915, during the First World War, the machine-building plant “Phoenix” (“Shlifverst”), the plant “Mechanica” (“Komsomolets”) and cloth factories (“Valteks”) were evacuated to Lubny from the front-line western provinces.

Lubny in the Soviet Ukraine and in independent Ukraine

January 13, 1918, the Soviet power was established in Lubny. In March 1918, the town was occupied by advancing Austro-German troops, which remained in Lubny until November 1918. At the end of 1918, the power of the Ukrainian People’s Republic was established here. In February 1919, the Soviet power was reestablished in the town and Lubny became one of the district centers of the Poltava province.

In 1932, the Lubny Felt Factory was the only mechanized factory in Ukraine, it produced about 70% of all felt. In the same year, a pharmaceutical factory began operating here. In 1936, the population was 26,045 people. The largest industrial enterprises were a machine-tool factory, a metal processing plant, a woodworking factory, a tobacco factory, a cloth factory, a felt factory.

September 13, 1941, during the Second World War, Lubny was occupied by German troops. In 1942, a concentration camp for Soviet POWs was created in the town - Dulag 132. April 18, 1943, Lubny was liberated, the restoration of local economy began.

In the 1960s, the gasification of the city began. By early 1972, the population of the city was 45,000 people. In 1981, more than 30 industrial enterprises operated here. In 1991, the population reached 60,300.

After the collapse of the USSR, in independent Ukraine, the population of Lubny began to decline. In 1993, the local economy was based on several enterprises that produced furniture, building materials, clothing, and textiles.

According to the results of the 2001 All-Ukrainian Population Census, the population of Lubny was 52,600 people. In 2004, there were 22 industrial, 12 construction, and 7 transport enterprises in the city. As of January 1, 2013, the population of Lubny was 47,643 people.

Lubny streets

Marketplace in Lubny

Marketplace in Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko

Post office in Lubny

Post office in Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko

Electronics store in Lubny

Electronics store in Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko


Lubny features and attractions

Lubny is one of the oldest settlements in the Poltava region and Ukraine. It is located in the central part of the country, on the right bank of the Sula River. The climate is temperate, characterized by cool summers. The average temperature in July is plus 20.4 degrees Celsius, in January - minus 5.9 degrees Celsius.

The economy of Lubny is based on small business, trade, tourism. Also there are several relatively large enterprises: a machine-tool plant, a machine-building plant, a pharmaceutical factory, a brick factory, a furniture plant, a dairy factory. Public transport is represented by fixed-route minibuses and buses.

The city is especially beautiful in spring and summer. The City Day of Lubny is September 18th, but celebrations usually take place in the second weekend of September.

The main attraction of Lubny is Mharskyi Transfiguration Monastery located on the right bank of the Sula in close proximity to the city limits. Founded in 1619, it played a significant role in the spiritual life of Ukraine.

Lubny Museum of Local Lore. The museum, located in an old one-story mansion in the center of the city, has collections of archeology, ethnography, numismatics, church items, old books, photos and documents on the history of the region.

In total, there are about 20,000 exhibits in 3 departments: natural, ancient history and modern history. The museum also has an art gallery. There are exhibitions of local artists. Yaroslava Mudroho Street, 30/25.

Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (early 19th century) - the oldest preserved church in Lubny located in the very center of the city, at the intersection of Bratska Street and Yaroslava Mudroho Street. It was built in the traditional style of Ukrainian classicism. The building was restored in the early 2000s.

Women’s Diocesan School (1907) - a beautiful monument of architecture built in the pseudo-Russian style. Today, the building houses the Lubny Comprehensive School #10. Henerala Lyaskina Street, 2.

Lubny city, Ukraine photos

Lubny views

Bank in Lubny

Bank in Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko

Electronics store in Lubny city

Electronics store in Lubny city

Author: Sergiy Radchenko

Self-service store in Lubny

Self-service store in Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko


Lubny places

Bus station in Lubny

Bus station in Lubny

Author: Genady Kruglenko

School #10 in Lubny

School #10 in Lubny

Author: Dmitry V. Averyanov

Music school in Lubny

Music school in Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko


Lubny sights

Lubny Fire Station

Lubny Fire Station

Author: Sergiy Radchenko

Monument of the Millennium of Lubny

Monument of the Millennium of Lubny

Author: Sergiy Radchenko

Mharskyi Transfiguration Monastery near Lubny

Mharskyi Transfiguration Monastery near Lubny

Author: Iurii Radchenko


The comments of our visitors

Greg
Mhar Monastery
How is it that this magnificent monastery is now under the control of the Moscow patriarch? Both my parents who were born in this region, would be turning in their graves. I have visited Lubny and other places in the Poltava Province 3 times now and am disturbed by what I have seen.

Sponsored Links: