Bila Tserkva city, Ukraine (Belaya Tserkov)

The city of Kiev oblast.

Bila Tserkva overview

Bila Tserkva (Russian spelling “Belaya Tserkov”) is a city located in Kyiv region of Ukraine, about 80 km from Kyiv.

The population - 211,000 (2012).

Phone code - +380 4563; postal codes - 09100-09127.

Bila Tserkva city flag

Bila Tserkva city flag

Bila Tserkva city coat of arms

Bila Tserkva city coat of arms

Bila Tserkva city map location


Bila Tserkva history

It was founded by Yaroslav the Wise in 1032. The town was named Yuriev. Bila Tserkva present name translation is “White Church” and may refer to the (no longer extant) white-painted cathedral of medieval Yuriev.

Since 1363, the town belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and, since 1569, to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It was granted Magdeburg Rights in 1620 by Sigismund III Vasa. A peace treaty between the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Ukrainian Cossack rebels under Bohdan Khmelnytsky was signed here in 1651.

In 1795, after the Third Partition of Poland, the town became the part of the Russian Empire. It was a significant market place in the 19th century. During the Soviet times, Bila Tserkva became large industrial center with machine building and construction industries.

Preceding the Russian Revolution and until the 1930s, there was a significant Jewish community in the city. Some of them were driven out by Cossacks and Tzarist policies. Many were driven out in the Stalinist purges. Most remnants were destroyed during the Holocaust and other losses during the Second World War.

Bila Tserkva streets

Bila Tserkva street

Bila Tserkva street

Author: Stephan White

Bila Tserkva street view

Bila Tserkva street view

Author: Stephan White

Bila Tserkva street scenery

Bila Tserkva street scenery

Author: Stephan White


Bila Tserkva sights

Dendrology Park “Alexandria”. The park was founded by hetman Francis-Xavier Branitsky in 1793. It was named in honor of his wife Alexandra. The park is considered to be one of the best in Europe.

The plan was created by the French park designer Myuffo. The park occupies the territory of over 200 hectares, has 25 water reservoirs and about 2,500 species of plants, including rare plants from South America, China and Japan.

The central place of the park is Bolshaya polyana (Large clearing). It is the beginning of 20 km network of alleys, decorated with landscape architecture and sculptures: “Romantic Ruins”, “Chinese Bridge”, “The Lion” spring, etc. The highest point of the park is the Paliy Mountain with a monument to S. Paliy on the top. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00. Day off - Tuesday.

Shopping Arcade (BrUM). This complex of shops was built by Count Branitsky in the beginning of the 19th century. The place is also called “BrUM” meaning “Branitsky Universalniy Magazin” (“Branitsky Department Store”). The original trading complex of about 5 thousand square meters had the places for 85 shops.

The opening of shopping area greatly stimulated the trade in Bila Tserkva and increased the Jewish community of the city. Old BrUM is still used for trading. Several shops and cafes are located there. This area also hosts various festivals and cultural events. Torgovaya (Trade) Square.

More Sights…

Winter Palace. The urban residence of Counts Branitsky was built in classical style in a beautiful park area in 1796. Today, the building is used by local School of the Arts. Unfortunately, the interiors of the palace did not survive. 50th Anniversary of Victory Boulevard, 7.

Warehouses. Architectural monument, the end of 18th - early 19th centuries. 50th Anniversary of Victory Boulevard, 62.

Nobility meetings house. Architectural monument, the 30s of the 19th century. 50th Anniversary of Victory Boulevard, 5.

Water Mill. Nowadays, the water mill constructed on Ros’ River in the 19th century is not working. The buildings of the mill and the dam blocking the river were preserved. The place offers picturesque views of Ros’ River and the Church of St. Mary Magdalene. Zamkovaya Street, 37.

Post station. The complex of post station buildings appeared in the city in the 19th century, when regular communication from Moscow to Odessa was established. The buildings of post office, hotel, coach yard, stables, smithy were made in classic style. Architectural integrity and original layout of the complex are preserved. 50th Anniversary of Victory Boulevard, 41-45.

The Monument to Dead Bikers. The monument was opened at the entrance to Bila Tserkva (Kyiv highway) in 2007. Bronze sculpture of a flying motorcycle (sculptor A. Maslikov) is located on a 7-meter height. The funds for the monument were from the Charitable Foundation “Remembrance of Dead Bikers”. Kiev highway.

Museums

Local History Museum. The museum has collections of items of material and spiritual culture of the south of Kyiv region. The building of the museum was constructed in the style of constructivism on Zamkovaya Hill in front of the Catholic Church in the 20th century.

The numismatic collection has Roman coins, Kyiv hryvnia, Cossack era money. In the department of art, there are icons, paintings and sculptures of the 17th-20th centuries from the collection of Counts Branitsky.

The monument to Yaroslav the Wise and Bila Tserkva viewpoint are located nearby. Address: Sobornaya Square, 4. Opening hours: 10:00-17:30. Day off - Wednesday.

Museum of Telecommunications. The museum is located in the telephone office of “Ukrtelecom”. The exhibition is about the history of communications and mail. Various times devices to transmit the messages, the first TV etc. are presented there. Pobeda Boulevard, 23/1.

Bila Tserkva places

Bila Tserkva former Choral Synagogue

Bila Tserkva former Choral Synagogue

Author: Stephan White

Bila Tserkva tank T-34 monument

Bila Tserkva tank T-34 monument

Author: Vadim Dranik

Bila Tserkva jet fighter monument

Bila Tserkva jet fighter monument

Author: Vadim Dranik


Churches, synagogue

Church of St. John the Baptist. The Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist was built by Count Branitsky on Zamkovaya Hill in 1812-1813. Probably, there was an ancient church at this place, which gave the city its name (“bila tserkva” means “white church”).

Branitsky built the church in memory of his son Alexander, who died in childhood. Today, the building of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church is a house of organ and chamber music. Sobornaya Square, 4.

Cathedral of the Transfiguration. Transfiguration Cathedral is the main Orthodox church of the city. The cathedral was built in 1833-1839 by means of Countess A. Branitsky in a place of dilapidated St. Nicholas Church founded by hetman I. Mazepa in 1706.

It was common belief that those who would build a new church on the site of St. Nicholas Church would face a certain death. The countess died in the year when the construction of the cathedral was finished. She was buried in the cathedral built by her order.

In 1930, the cathedral was closed. Later, in 1956, the building was restored. Today, Transfiguration Cathedral is active. The chapel located nearby is a surviving fragment of old St. Nicholas Church. The stone building of the cathedral has a height of 40 m. Gagarin Street, 10.

Church of St. Mary Magdalene. The church was built in the 18th century. It was the only church built outside of the historic center of Bila Tserkva. The Church of St. Mary Magdalene was constructed in classical style; the bell tower was attached directly to it. During the Soviet regime, it was one of the few active churches in the city. Shkolnaya Street, 11/16.

Choral Synagogue. The synagogue was built by means of the Jewish community of the city in the 19th century. In Soviet times, the synagogue was closed. Today, the building is owned by techno-economic college of Bila Tserkva National Agrarian University. Yaroslav the Wise Street, 25/2.

Bila Tserkva city, Ukraine photos

Bila Tserkva churches

Bila Tserkva St. John the Baptist church

Bila Tserkva St. John the Baptist church

Author: Alexander Nikishin

Bila Tserkva Transfiguration cathedral

Bila Tserkva Transfiguration cathedral

Author: Stephan White

Bila Tserkva St. Mary Magdalene church

Bila Tserkva St. Mary Magdalene church

Author: Roman Zilukin


Bila Tserkva water tower

Bila Tserkva water tower

Bila Tserkva water tower

Author: Andrew Niukin


Sponsored Links: