Fastiv city, Ukraine (Fastov)

The city of Kiev oblast.

Fastiv overview

Fastiv (also spelled Fastov) is a city located in Kiev region of Ukraine. It is situated about 65 km southwest of Kiev by railway.

The city is an important railway junction and railway equipment production center of Ukraine.

Population - 50,000 (2012).

Area code - +380 4565; postal codes - 08500-08509.

Fastiv city flag

Fastiv city flag

Fastiv city coat of arms

Fastiv city coat of arms

Fastiv city map location


Fastiv history

The settlement was first time mentioned in chronicles in 1390. That time, it was the western post of Kiev. Fastiv had favorable geographical position being the place of Polish, Russian and Ukrainian cultures crossing.

The town was playing an important role at the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th centuries. It was headed by a Cossack colonel Semen Paliy and was the center of an independent Cossack state called “the State of Paliy”.

At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries, a lot of famous people lived and worked here:

  • Taras Shevchenko - an artist and poet,
  • Kiril Stetsenko - a composer,
  • Mykola Benardos - a scientist,
  • Pavlo Bondarenko - a violinist.

Fastiv streets

Fastiv city street

Fastiv city street

Author: Inna Bozhko

General view of Fastiv

General view of Fastiv

Author: Inna Bozhko

Fastiv street scenery

Fastiv street scenery

Author: Inna Bozhko


Fastiv sights

Churches

Vozdvizhenskaya (Exaltation) Church. Neo-gothic style Roman Catholic Church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross was built in 1903-1911. Today, this architectural monument of national importance is the main sight of the city. The church was constructed at the expense of representatives of the Polish gentry.

The author of the design was the architect W. Dombrowski. The main feature of the church is the asymmetry of its western facade. The asymmetric structure of the facade of the building is explained by the influence of art nouveau style.

In Soviet times, the building of the church was used as a warehouse. In 1991, the church was returned to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fastiv. Exterior and interior restoration works were completed in 2003. Today, the church is standing in its original magnificence and extraordinary beauty. The building of a Catholic seminary is located nearby. Krasnoarmeyskaya Street, 4-a.

The Church of the Intercession. This church is a masterpiece of Ukrainian wooden architecture. The church designed by the architect I. Grigorovich-Barsky was built on the site of the ancient Armenian Church in 1766-1772. Architecture of the church has features of the Ukrainian baroque. Pushkin Street, 1.

Museums

Local History Museum. The museum is located in the historic building of the bank (the late 19th century). There are several thematic exhibitions based on the results of archaeological research.

The official date of opening of the museum is December 1995, when the first exhibition hall “Fastiv: Pages of History (from the earliest times to the the 20th century)” was opened.

Today, it is a local center of science and education. There are about 21 thousand exhibits, which can be divided into two main groups - local history and natural history. Sovetskaya Street, 9.

The Museum on the Wheels. At the train station, there is a train car open for visitors. In 1918, it was the place where delegations of the Ukrainian People’s Republic and Western Ukrainian People’s Republic had their talks about forming a united independent Ukraine. December 1, “pre-accession” agreement was signed to unite the people and territories of the UPR and WUPR in a single state.

The Act of Union (Zluki) was officially proclaimed six weeks later in Sophia Square in Kiev. Every year people in Fastiv celebrate this day. Shevchenko Street, railway station. Opening hours: Friday, 13:00-15:00.

Fastiv views

Fastiv city view

Fastiv city view

Author: Alexandr Kosminsky

Fastiv view

Fastiv view

Author: Alexandr Kosminsky

Fastiv water tower

Fastiv water tower

Author: Alexandr Kosminsky


Other sights

The Settlement of Paliy. The remains of the settlement are located near the Unava River. According to folk tales, it was the settlement of Paliy. Semyon Paliy (Gurko Semyon Filippovich) was the leader of the national liberation war of Ukrainian people against the Polish government in the Right-bank Ukraine in the late 17th - early 18th centuries.

In the 80s of the 17th century, several regiments led by Paliy began to explore the sparsely populated southern part of Kiev region. Fortified settlement of Fastiv became their main base. From there, they were quite successfully fighting with the Tatars and Turks. Here Semyon Paliy gained his fame.

The mansion of Khoetsky in Tomashovka village. In the center of the village Tomashovka, located 15 km north of the city, there is a very beautiful old mansion. It was the residence of Poles Khoetsky who purchased Tomashovka from Duke Grigory Dolgoruky in 1810.

Polish nobles built the palace in Tomashovka in 1903. The author of the project was the architect Valerian Kulikovskiy. The building is an example of civil manor architecture of the late 19th - early 20th centuries.

In 2000, the mansion passed into possession of Vvedensky Monastery. Today, Rizopolozhenchesky monastery is located there. The building has the status of an architectural monument of national importance. The restoration work was carried out there recently.

The house was decorated with coats of arms of former owners - Khoetsky and Dolgoruky. Monks took care of the house, where they placed a lot of sculptures and built a small zoo (you can see a couple of cute ostriches there).

The monument to Nikolai Benardos. It is located in the center of the city. Nikolai Benardos was an inventor. He settled in Fastiv at the end of the 1890s. This person had more than 120 inventions in electric welding and cutting of metal.

Fastiv hotels

The recreation complex “Dubravushka”. The country complex “Dubravushka Club” is located in a pine forest on the southern outskirts of the city near the Unava River. Main services: restaurant (Ukrainian and European cuisine), bar, billiards, sauna, gym, beach, fishing, parking. Cheluskintsev Street. Contact phone: +380 66 744 06 34.

Hotel “Fastiv”. The old hotel located in the center of the city. Sovetskaya Street, 3. Contact phone: +380 4565 5 14 52.

Hotel “Unava”. Main services: bar, Internet, conference hall, laundry, parking. Chapaev Street, 110. Contact phone: +380 4465 5 22 62.

Fastiv city, Ukraine photos

Fastiv places

Fastiv railway station

Fastiv railway station

Author: Alexandr Kosminsky

Tank T-34 monument

Tank T-34 monument

Author: Jeremy Hawking

Fastiv monument

Fastiv monument

Author: Jeremy Hawking


Fastiv churches

Catholic church

Catholic church

Author: S.Kondratenko

Orthodox church

Orthodox church

Author: Inna Bozhko


Sponsored Links: