Lisichansk or Lysychansk is a city located in Lugansk region of Ukraine. It is one of the most ancient cities of Donbass region, important industrial center.
The city is standing on the right bank of the Seversky Donets River (about 90 km from Lugansk).
Population - 105,000 (2012).
Area code - +380 6451; postal code - 93100.
The development of Donetsk coal field began from the territories of present day Lisichansk. The foundation date of the town is 1710. That time, there were several small villages on the present territory of the city. In 1724-1725, Grigory Kapustin found large coal deposits in the region.
In 1795, Catherine II, the ruler of the Russian Empire, ordered to build the first coal mine in the region. It was the beginning of Donbass coal deposit and the town quick developing. In 1895, the settlement received railway connection with other regions of the Russian Empire.
During the World War II, Lisichansk was captured by Germany army in 1941 and liberated by the Red Army in 1943.
After 1952, the city grew and developed, an oil-processing plant was built there - the largest in Europe at that time. A rubber plant and a lot of other industrial plants were constructed.
In perestroika time and when Ukraine became independent, almost all the industry was paralyzed due to boundary with Russia being closed.
In 2004, Lisichansk took the first place in Ukraine in industrial output. The city is becoming nicer. The stadium was reconstructed, a new maternity house was built. A lot of attention is paid to historical monuments.
Today, there are five coal mining companies in the city. The total coal reserves are about 180 millions of tons.
Among the main places of interest are:
- Pereyezdnyanskaya church;
- the museum of local study and Polovets stone statues (center, Lenin Street);
- the monument to the first mine in Donbass;
- the monument to Grigory Kapustin (near the central market);
- T-34 tank - the monument to defenders of Lisichansk (Lenin Avenue);
- the memorial complex of the World War II “Privolnyansky platsdarm”;
- the house of culture named after V.N.Sosyura with the mosaic named “Power to Soviets” and “Spacemen” (Stekolny district);
- the rope way from Belogorovsky cretaceous quarry to Lisichansk soda plant. The longest in Europe and the second in length after Canadian.
Lisichansk museum of local study numbers about 17,000 exhibits. An exhibition hall of the museum gives an idea of the regional club “Levsha” - masters of decorative and applied arts of the region and the city.
There are 4 exhibition halls in the museum:
- “Archaeology and the nature of the area”,
- “The history of the region development in the 18th-19th centuries”,
- “Pre-war Lisichansk and its citizens in the World War II”,
- “Ukrainian home” exhibition - very popular among visitors, it shows unique rich culture, customs and traditions of Ukrainian people.