The Lugansk People’s Republic
In 2014, during the protests that took place in the region, governmental buildings were seized and the Lugansk People’s Republic was proclaimed.
May 11, 2014, a referendum about republic’s independence was held. Its legitimacy was not recognized by Ukraine, the EU and US said that it was illegal.
The territory of the region became the site of fighting between the Ukrainian armed forces and the people protecting the self-proclaimed republic.
At the moment, the conflict is not resolved and the future of this territory remains unclear.
In 1795, Catherine II signed a decree on founding the cast iron mill - the first in the south of the Russian Empire. It was constructed in the river Lugan valley and due to it the town was founded.
In 1797, the settlement which grew round the plant was called Lugansky plant. Specialists and workers were recruited from inner Russian gubernias and partly from abroad. In 1800, the first blast-furnace at Lugansky canon foundry produced cast iron.
It was the first blast-furnace in Ukraine. In 1812, during the war with Napoleon, the plant became one of the main suppliers of canons and ammunition for the Russian army.
More Historical Facts…
In the early 19th century, its favorable location on the ways among central regions of Russia and port towns Rostov and Taganrog promoted development of trade. Trade and handicraft institutions grew around the town.
In the mid 70s of the 19th century, it was involved in transportation construction. The railway was opened. In 1882, the emperor signed a decree founding the town of Lugansk on the base the settlement Lugansky.
In 1896, German businessman Gustav Hartman began constructing a large steam engine-making plant. The equipment was brought from Germany. In 1900, a steam engine left the town - the first one built there.
In the early 20th century, it was a large industrial center. There were 16 plants and factories there and about 40 handicraft firms. There were 6 Orthodox churches, a synagogue, a Polish Rome-Catholic church and a Lutheran church in the city.
The first church was built in 1761 in Kamennye Brody - a wooden Petropavlovskaya church. In 1792-1795, it was replaced by a stone church. This is the only church preserved until today.
In 1926, the population was 77,000. In 1931, a heavy cargo steam engine of “Felix Dzherdzhinsky” series was produced in Lugansk - the first in the USSR. In 1935, the city was renamed Voroshilovgrad.
In 1956, the population was over 250,000. In 1958, the historical name “Lugansk” was returned to the city. In 1970, it was again renamed into Voroshilovgrad after death of K.Ye. Voroshilov (1969).
In 1972, the football team “Zarya” (Voroshilovgrad) became the USSR champion for the first and the last time. It was the first USSR champion from the city which was not the capital of the republic.
In 1990, the original name was returned to the city.
Major branch of local industry is heavy engineering, dominated by huge diesel-locomotive works. Steel tubes, coal-mining equipment, spare parts for motor vehicles, and precision instruments are also produced in the city.
The city has teacher-training, medical, agricultural, and machine-building institutes.
The climate of the area is of moderate continental type. Summers are hot, average temperature in July is 22 degrees Celsius above zero, winters are cold, average temperature in January is 8 degrees C below zero.
Local History Museum. One of the oldest museums in Donbass is located in the constructivist building of 1976. Seven exhibits are devoted to the history of the region from ancient times to the present day.
Nearby, there are two World War I times British tanks Mark-5 “Ricardo” and an old gun. Shevchenko Street, 2. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00, days off - Monday, Tuesday.
Tanks Mark-5. Two unique British tanks Mark-5 (Mark V) “Ricardo” are the part of the memorial complex “Monument to Revolutionary Fighters”. Both tanks were produced in the UK in 1917-1918. During the Civil War, the tanks were supporting the fighting troops of Denikin. They were captured by the Red Army and formed the basis of its first tank brigade.
In 1938, the tanks on the initiative of the Defense Commissar Voroshilov were transferred to several cities of the USSR, in particular to Lugansk. The tanks were used as historic monuments of the Civil War (there is one tank preserved in Kharkov). In 2009, the tanks were renovated and returned to their places. Shevchenko Street, 2.
Museum of City History. The museum was founded in 1980 as a museum of Kliment Voroshilov, after whom the city in Soviet times was called Voroshilovgrad.
The main exhibition is devoted to the development of the city in the 19th century. At the entrance, there is an exhibition of old cannons made at Lugansk foundry. Karl Marx Street, 30. Opening hours: 9:00-16:30, days off - Saturday, Sunday.
Museum of Art. Regional art museum is located in the former house of industrialists Venderovich (1876) on one of the oldest streets in the city. The museum was opened in 1920. A lot of exhibits had been brought from Moscow and Kharkov (paintings, furniture, porcelain, bronze), but almost all of them were lost during the Second World War.
Today, the museum has about 8 thousand exhibits of domestic and foreign art of the 16th-20th centuries: paintings, sculptures, decorative and applied arts. The paintings of Italian, French, Flemish and Dutch artists of the 16th-18th centuries are especially valuable. Pochtovaya Street, 3. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00, days off - Monday, Tuesday.
The House-Museum of Vladimir Dal. A small one-story house where outstanding writer and lexicographer V. Dal was born in 1801. In 1986, the house became a museum.
The exhibits in five rooms are devoted to the life and work of the author of “Explanatory Dictionary of the Russian Language”. Nearby, there is a monument to Dal (1981). Dal Street, 12. Opening hours: 9:00-16:00, days off - Sunday, Monday.
St. Vladimir Cathedral. The cathedral was founded in 1993 and consecrated in 2006. Today, it is the largest cult construction of south-eastern Ukraine. The cathedral has enough space for three thousand believers. Built on a high open area this beautiful majestic building can be seen from afar. Plekhanov Street, 44.
St. Peter and St. Paul Cathedral. The cathedral is the oldest building in the city. Initially, the church was made of wood. Stone church was built there in 1792-1796. 2nd Kooperativniy Street, 12.
St. Alexander Nevsky church. The church was built in 2000-2003 on the territory of University park. Budenniy Street.
Other places of interest
Stone Statues Park. The park-museum has one of the largest collections of stone statues of the 11th-12th centuries in Ukraine. The museum is located on the territory of Lugansk National University. Statues are the sculptures 1-4 meters height, depicting warriors (sometimes women).
The statues were placed on the mounds of ancient peoples: Scythians, Polovtsians etc. These are the only remains of monumental art of long-extinct nomadic people lived in what is now known as Lugansk region. Oboronnaya Street, 2.
Monument to Prince Igor. The monument to Prince Igor is located in the village Stanichno-Luganskoye (north-eastern suburb of the city). It was opened for the 65th anniversary of the formation of the region. 14-meter statue of the prince was placed on high hill above the highway Lugansk - Shirokiy. It is planned to create historical and cultural complex in this area.
Ostraya Mogila. The memorial is dedicated to the Civil War (1919) and Second World War.
Hotel “Gostiniy Dvor”. The hotel is located in old two-storey building in the historic center. Main services: cafe (European cuisine), Wi-Fi, transfer, parking. Lenin Street, 54. Contact phones: +380 642 33 15 16, +380 642 34 41 47, +380 642 34 42 17.
Hotel “Druzhba”. This hotel located in the center of the city is one of the sights of Lugansk. Russian Drama theater and Puppet theater can be found nearby. The hotel has panoramic views of the city, the surrounding area has landscape design of Ukrainian village.
Main services: two restaurants (European and Ukrainian cuisine), bars, billiards, sauna with pool, conference hall, barbershop, beauty salon, laundry, parking. Soroky P. Street, 16-a. Contact phones: +380 642 53 53 53, +380 642 53 53 63.
Hotel “Inter”. The hotel is located in Zhovtneviy district, on the territory of East business center. Main services: cafe (European cuisine), sauna, pool, gym, conference hall, concert hall, Wi-Fi, beauty salon, parking. Vozrozhdeniya Street, 11-p. Contact phone: +380 642 35 71 71.
Hotel “Tropicana”. New modern hotel of the entertainment complex “Tropicana” located about 15 minutes from the city center. Main services: cafe-bar, night club, billiards, stores, parking. Lenkom kvartal (block), 2-v. Contact phone: +380 642 71 17 04.
Mini-hotel “Elite-comfort”. The hotel is located in the center of the city (between gastronome “Donbass” and circus). Main services: cafe-bar, laundry, Internet, parking. 50th anniversary of USSR Street, 22/28. Contact phones: +380 642 53 20 52, +380 642 58 53 93, +380 642 58 55 93.
Mini-hotel “Europe”. Two-storey hotel located on the outskirts of the city, 10 minutes from the airport. Main services: restaurant, billiards. Yuzhniy kvartal (block), 9. Contact phone: +380 642 71 09 52.
Hotel “Start”. The hotel is located in the center. Main services: bar, Internet. Sovetskaya Street, 48. Contact phones: +380 642 34 41 59, +380 642 34 40 86.
Hotel “Initsial”. Modern hotel located on the outskirts of the city. Main services: restaurant (European cuisine), bar, store, beauty salon, parking. Oboronnaya Street, 118-a. Contact phones: +380 642 34 54 35, +380 642 42 86 88, +380 642 42 83 60.