Stakhanov (Stahanov) is a city located in the western part of Lugansk region of Ukraine, about 63 km by highway and 91 km by railway from Lugansk.
In 1937-1940, the city was called Sergo, before 1937 and in 1940-1978 - Kadievka. Stakhanov is named after the famous Soviet miner Alexey Stakhanov who began his career in this town.
Population - 92,000 (2012).
Area code - +380 6444; postal code - 94000.
The history of Stakhanov began in 1814, when Andreyevka settlement was founded. In the first quarter of the 19th century, coal was found in this area.
In 1890, there were five joint-stock coal mining companies here. In 1894, the sugar-making plant owner Shubin founded the mine #1 “Karl”.
In autumn 1896, first coal was mined at the mine #1. Since 1898, Shubinka was called Kadiyevka. The same year, a metallurgical plant was founded near Almaznaya station and, in 1899, its first blast-furnace was put into process.
In 1932, Kadiyevka received the status of a town. August 30, 1935, the miner Alexey Stakhanov broke the world record and mined 102 tons of coal within 5 hours and 45 minutes; it was 14 times more than the usual rate. It was the beginning of the so-called “Stakhanov” movement.
On February 15, 1978, Kadiyevka was renamed into Stakhanov, in order to commemorate the miner Alexey Grigoryevich Stakhanov.
The monument to A. Stakhanov was erected in the town to honor the 50th anniversary of the movement.
Till 1995, it was a town of miners. But, in 1995-1998, all four mines were closed.
Today, metallurgy and metal working are the main industries.
Stakhanov plant of ferro-alloys is the largest plant not only in the city, but in the whole region.
The city has a museum of history and arts with 54,800 exhibits in the historical department and 2,200 exhibits of the art department. The following exhibitions are presented:
- “The Old Kadiyevka”;
- “The history of the town in 1917-1950s”;
- “The history of the Stakhanov movement”;
- “Stakhanov city today”;
- “Ukrainian decorative and applied arts”.
Local palace of culture, named after Gorky, is a monument of architecture; it is one of the most beautiful buildings in the region. This building is the heart of the city.
In the recreation park “Gornyak”, you can find various attractions, small shops, children’s playgrounds.
The reconstructed bowl of Stakhanov pond is filled with water.