Dnipro city, Ukraine

The capital city of Dnepropetrovsk oblast.

Dnipro overview

Dnipro (until 1926 - Ekaterinoslav, from 1926 to 2016 - Dnepropetrovsk) is a city located in the eastern part of Ukraine on both banks of the middle Dnieper in the steppe zone, the administrative center of the Dnepropetrovsk region. Dnipro is the fourth largest city in terms of population in Ukraine after Kyiv, Kharkiv and Odessa.

The population of Dnipro is about 976,000 (2016), the area - 405 sq. km.

The phone code - +380 56(2), the postal codes - 49000-49489.

Dnipro city flag

Dnipro city flag

Dnipro city coat of arms

Dnipro city coat of arms

Dnipro city map location


Dnipro history

Presumably in the 9th century, on the Monastery Island (in the center of the present city), Byzantine monks founded their monastery. Most probably the monastery was destroyed during the Mongol invasion in 1240.

In the first half of the 15th century, nomads were forced out from the right bank of the Dnieper by Lithuanians, the border between the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Crimean Khanate, which arose in 1443, passed along the Dnieper, on the territory of the present city.

In the 16th century, the gradual revival of the region began - especially after the formation of the Zaporozhye Cossacks. In 1635, the Polish authorities built the fortress Kodak to control the movements of the Cossacks. Today, it is the village of Old Kodak located on the southern outskirts of the city with the remains of earthen ramparts.

After 1667, the left-bank Ukraine was on the autonomy rights in the Moscow kingdom. After the failure of the military campaign of Peter I in 1711, under the terms of the Prut treaty with the Turks, the lands of Zaporozhye again came under the control of the Crimean Tatars, and the fortresses were destroyed.

More Historical Facts…

After the war against the Ottoman Empire in 1735-1739, Russia regained control of the region. However, the border with the Crimean Khanate was only 100 km to the south, which impeded the development of the region. As a result of another war against the Turks, the Russian Empire established itself in the mouth of the Dnieper. To manage the newly annexed lands, an administrative center was required. It was decided to establish it at the mouth of the Kilchin River at the confluence with the Samara River.

In 1776, the new town was founded and named Ekaterinoslav in honor of Empress Catherine II. However, because of its location in the swampy terrain, the town of Ekaterinoslav lasted only for several years (1776-1783), after which it was moved to a new place - on a hill on the bank of the Dnieper opposite the mouth of the Samara River.

Ekaterinoslav, according to the original plan of Catherine II and her favorite G.A. Potemkin was to become the “Third Capital of the Russian Empire”. However, after their death, the town’s development slowed down. In 1794, four German colonies were founded in the vicinity of Ekaterinoslav. In 1796, there were 11 stone houses and 185 wooden houses in the town.

In 1796-1802, the town was called Novorossiysk. Renaming took place because the new Emperor Paul I wanted to remove all reminders of the activities of his mother, Empress Catherine II. In 1802, after the death of Paul I, at the request of the townspeople, Emperor Alexander I returned the town its former name. In 1804, the population was 6,389 people.

By 1853, the population increased to 13,011 people. In 1862, there were 315 stone and 3,060 wooden houses in the town. In 1884, the railway bridge across the Dnieper River and the railway station in Ekaterinoslav were opened. Because of the discovery of iron ore and coal deposits in the Kryvyi Rih and Donbass areas, a rapid industrial development of the region began. Several metallurgical plants appeared in Ekaterinoslav.

In 1897, the population reached 121,216 people. A number of public, cultural and educational institutions were opened in the city. At the beginning of the 20th century, the city continued to grow rapidly. By 1910, the population increased to 252,500. During the Russian Civil War, it became an arena of numerous battles. January 1, 1920, Ekaterinoslav became part of the Ukrainian SSR.

In 1926, the city was renamed into Dnepropetrovsk. The name was formed from the name of the Dnepr River and the name of the Soviet party and state figure G.I. Petrovsky, who began his working life in the city. Dnepropetrovsk became the main center of the metallurgical industry in the south of the USSR.

August 25, 1941, the city was occupied by German troops. October 25, 1943, the city was liberated by the Red Army. After the war, the city was rebuilt and turned into one of the key centers of the defense and space industry of the Soviet Union.

Since 1955, after the restoration of the city center (1948-1957), active development of free lands in the southern districts of Dnepropetrovsk began. The longest in Europe embankment was built on the right bank of the Dnieper. In 1966, the car Bridge #2 was completed - the longest bridge across the Dnieper at that time.

By the end of the 1970s, the population exceeded 1 million people in connection with which it was decided to build a subway. Until 1987, Dnepropetrovsk was closed to foreigners, because of its rocket production. By the end of the 1980s, due to the crisis in the economy, the city’s development stopped. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the population began to decline.

With the beginning of the 21st century, the city again began to develop gradually. In September 2008, the new stadium “Dnipro-Arena” was opened. At the same time, serious problems with urban transport remained. The construction of the subway almost stopped (due to lack of funding).

In 2016, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, as part of the decommunization process, officially renamed the city of Dnepropetrovsk to Dnipro after the name of the river on which the city stands.

Dnipro streets

In the center of Dnipro

In the center of Dnipro

Author: Eugeny Laptev

Dnipro street

Dnipro street

Author: Igor Felendler

Merefa-Kherson Bridge in Dnipro

Merefa-Kherson Bridge in Dnipro

Author: Anutka Seradskaya


Dnipro features

In general, the climate in Dnipro is typical for the climate of the steppe south of Ukraine and is dry-steppe, winters are mild, summers are warm (sometimes hot). The average temperature in January is minus 2.7 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 23.7 degrees Celsius.

Dnipro is one of the largest industrial, economic and transport centers, the center of metallurgy of Ukraine.

Urban transport is represented by trolleybus, bus and tram lines, as well as a developed network of fixed-route taxis. In, 1995, the first six stations of the Dnipro subway were opened: Pokrovskaya, Prospekt Svobody, Zavodskaya, Metallurgov, Metrostroiteley, Vokzalnaya. The total length of the line is 7.9 km.

The City Day of Dnipro is celebrated on the second Sunday of September. On this day festive events are held throughout the city and traditionally end on the embankment with fireworks.

Dnipro coat of arms

Three seven-pointed stars on the Dnipro coat of arms mean:

Eternity - the meaning of a star in heraldry; number 3 - past, present and future; they also symbolize metal sparks. The stars are placed in the shape of the letter V meaning “Victoris” - Victory.

The arrow and the saber are the central elements of the coat of arms. The arrow symbolizes motion, going forward, as well as rocketry. The saber is a symbol of protection, strength of the powerful city.

Places of interest in Dnipro

Churches

Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviour (1830-1835). Construction of the cathedral began during the journey of Catherine II through the southern territories of the Russian Empire in 1787. The Empress personally laid the first stone. However, the continuation of the work was delayed for 48 years and was completed only in 1835.

The cathedral is located in the middle of a green square in the historical part of Dnipro. It has a high architectural and artistic value as a building in which the traditions and techniques of the Russian classical school were reflected. During the Soviet era, this building was used as a museum of atheism, which saved it from destruction and preserved the interiors. The cathedral was restored in 1975. Soborna Square, 1.

Holy Trinity Cathedral (1837-1860). This is the main church of Dnipro. In the 1930s, it was closed by the Bolsheviks, but, in 1941, the divine services were renewed and continue to this day. Troitska Square, 7.

Holy Cross Exaltation Church (1803-1817). One of the oldest churches in Dnipro built in the classical style with the application of the traditions of Ukrainian architecture. Today, the church is located among the apartment buildings of the residential quarter “Kommunar”. Arzamas’ka Street, 59.

Roman Catholic Church of St. Joseph the Betrothed (1872-1877). The church was built with the funds of a large Polish community of the city, a significant part of which was immigrants deported here by the government of the Russian Empire after the January Uprising of 1863. In 2009, the church was returned to the Catholic community of Dnipro and was reconstructed. Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue, 91.

Dnipro views

High-rise buildings in Dnipro

High-rise buildings in Dnipro

Author: Levenko Alexandr

Dnipro architecture

Dnipro architecture

Author: Alex Pylov

Dnipro Railway Station

Dnipro Railway Station

Author: Sergey Svetlov


Museums in Dnipro

Dnipro National History Museum named after D.I. Yavornytsky. The museum was founded in 1849. In the halls of the museum you can see about 7 thousand exhibits, which tell about the history of the region from ancient times to the middle of the 20th century. Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue, 16. Opening hours: 10:00-16:00. Day off: Monday.

Memorial House Museum of D.I. Yavornytsky. The museum was opened in 1988 in a small red brick house with a belvedere and a carved wooden veranda in which the historian lived and worked in the early 20th century. Yavornytsky became famous as a researcher of the history of the Zaporozhye Cossacks. Opening hours: 10:00-16:00. Days off: Monday, Thursday, Friday. Shevchenka Square, 5.

Dnipro Art Museum. The collection of the museum includes about 8,5 thousand paintings, sculptures, graphics, and objects of decorative and applied arts of the 16th-21st centuries. Shevchenka Street, 21. Opening hours: 10:00-17:30.

Museum of Ukrainian Painting. The main exposition, numbering more than 200 works, is dedicated to Dnipro artists of the 20th century. Opening hours: 11:00-19:00. Days off: Monday, Tuesday. Troitska Square, 5A.

Technical Museum “Cars of the Past”. It is a private collection of vintage cars of the Dnipro collector M. Prudnikov located near the city center. In the hall of the museum the atmosphere of the city street of the 1950s-1960s is recreated.

There are about 25 Soviet cars: Zaporozhets, Moskvich, Zhiguli, Volga, Pobeda, Chaika of various modifications and production years, as well as SUVs, trucks and buses. There is also a cafe in retro style. Mandrykivska Street, 44. Opening hours: 10:00-22:00. Day off: Monday.

Menorah Center - a large Jewish center combining a business center, a conference hall, a concert hall “Sinai”, a museum, a leisure center, hotels, and restaurants. The unique architectural complex “Menorah”, located in the center of Dnipro, consists of seven towers, symbolizing the Temple Seven-Column.

On three floors of one of the towers there is an exposition of the museum “Memory of the Jewish People and the Holocaust in Ukraine” - the largest memorial complex dedicated to the Holocaust in the post-Soviet countries. Opening hours: Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 10:00-19:00. Days off: Sholom-Aleikhema Street, 4.

Cultural institutions in Dnipro

Dnipro Drama and Comedy Theater. The building of the theater was constructed in the style of classicism in 1906-1907. Opening hours: 11:00-18:00 (Saturday, Sunday - 10:00-17:00). Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue, 97.

Dnipro Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater of Culture named after T. Shevchenko (1913). Voskresenska Street, 5.

Dnipro Opera and Ballet Theater (1974) - a modern musical theater with a wide range of genres and scenic forms. Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue, 72?.

Dnipro House of Organ and Chamber Music (former Bryansk (St. Nicholas) Church). This church was built on the western outskirts of Ekaterinoslav (Dnipro) in 1913-1915. In 1929, the church was closed and used as a warehouse. In the postwar period, the building was dilapidated, it was going to be demolished, but thanks to the efforts of enthusiasts it was given the status of a monument of architecture and was converted to an organ hall. Serhiia Nihoiana Ave, 66.

Dnipro State Circus. The circus was founded in the late 19th century. The present building of the circus, stylized as a tent, was built in 1980. It is equipped with the latest light and sound equipment and can accommodate up to 1,914 people. Sicheslavska Naberezhna Street, 33.

Dnipro pictures

Central Marketplace in Dnipro

Central Marketplace in Dnipro

Author: Subbotin Vycheslav

Dnipro tram

Dnipro tram

Author: Kuznetsov Alexander

Tank T-34 monument in Dnipro

Tank T-34 monument in Dnipro

Author: Dmitry But


Parks, architectural monuments and other sights of Dnipro

Dnipro Embankment. It is one of the longest embankments in Europe (about 23 km), a favorite walking place of locals and tourists, one of the main sights of Dnipro. There are a lot of monuments, sculptures, cafes, and restaurants.

Family Bench. This 50-meter bench is the longest bench in Ukraine. It was installed on the embankment of the Dnieper River in 2011. Made of metal and pine beams, it is decorated with 7 installations that reflect the family’s way of life and eternal family values. The bench is in the area of free Wi-Fi. Sicheslavska Naberezhna Street.

Monastic Island. This island is the historical core of Dnipro and a popular place of recreation. Part of the island belongs to Taras Shevchenko Park. In 1958, a monument to Taras Shevchenko was erected on the island, one of the largest in Ukraine. There is a Memorial Cross to Byzantine monks installed in 1994. In 1999, an Orthodox church of St. Nicholas was built on the northern part of the island. The island also has a beach, a boat station, a Ferris wheel.

Potemkin’s Palace (1786-1790). It is one of the first and most significant buildings of Dnipro located in the Park of Culture and Recreation named after Taras Shevchenko. In 1952, the building was renovated and became the Palace of Culture of Students named after Yuri Gagarin. Shevchenka Square, 1.

Lazaria Hloby Park. It is the central park of Dnipro founded by Zaporozhye Cossack Lazar Hloba on the territory of his estate in the 18th century. There is a children’s railway, rides, a go-cart center, and a summer concert ground. In the middle of the park there is a lake with beautiful swans. Also there is a monument to Lazar Hloba erected on his grave. Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue, 95.

More sights…

Children’s Railway in Hloby Park. It introduces children to railway specialties. This railway, opened in 1936, was the first children’s railway in Ukraine and the second in the USSR. The total length is 2 km. Opening hours: 10:00-15:30 (from May to September on weekends).

Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue. The main street of Dnipro with various buildings of the 19th-20th centuries: the House of Khrennikov (1912), Governor’s House (1840-1850), the post office building, etc.

House of Khrennikov (Grand Hotel Ukraine) (1912) - an interesting building in the style of Ukrainian Art Nouveau. Today, the building is a five-star grand-hotel “Ukraine”. Korolenka Street, 2.

Governor’s House (1840-1850) - a beautiful and unusual building in the Neo-Gothic style, an architectural monument of national importance. Voskresenska Street, 14.

Katerynoslavs’kyi Boulevard. This is a new pedestrian zone, a cobbled boulevard decorated with an alley of fountains, located in the center of Dnipro. It is also called “New Arbat”. There are shopping centers, cafes and restaurants. One of the favorite places for walks and recreation of locals and tourists.

Dnipro Subway. Opened in December 1995, it can be called one of the shortest subways in the world: 6 stations and the line is just 7,1 km long. The subway operates from 5:35 to 23:00.

Best hotels in Dnipro

There is a number of different hotels in Dnipro. According to visitors’ reviews, the following hotels offer the best service.

Hotel “Reikartz Dnipro”. This new hotel of the Belgian group “Reikartz Hotels-Resorts” is located in the business and historical center of Dnipro, near the main avenue of the city - Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue.

80 modern rooms equipped with everything necessary for comfortable rest and work, Wi-Fi. Restaurant (traditional Ukrainian and European cuisine). Other services: conference room, business center, taxi service, car rental, transfer, gym. Troitska Street, 12?. Phones: +380 56 790 74 00, +380 56 790 74 01.

SPA-Hotel “Tsunami”. The hotel is located in a park area in the historical center of Dnipro, near the embankment of the Dnieper and Shevchenko Park. The complex includes a 4-star hotel, a luxury spa and a modern fitness center.

25 comfortable rooms with unique design ranging from 30 to 100 square meters. The restaurant offers healthy dishes from natural products. The price includes breakfast, unlimited access to the spa and fitness center, parking, Wi-Fi. Soborna Square, 12A. Phones: +380 67 567 44 86, +380 95 07 000 10, +380 68 90 000 10.

More Hotels…

Hotel “Axelhof”. It is a new modern 12-storey hotel located in the business district of the city. 44 comfortable rooms with all the amenities, Wi-Fi. There are special rooms equipped for people with disabilities. There are also rooms for non-smokers. There is a restaurant on the 11th floor offering panoramic views of Dnipro. Additional services: parking, rent a laptop, car rental. Mechnykova Street, 14/44. Phone: +380 56 744 07 07.

Hotel “Menorah”. It is located in the heart of the city, in one of the seven towers of the Jewish center “Menorah”. The hotel has the “Shabbat” system, which allows guests to adhere to Judaic religious traditions.

82 comfortable rooms with high-quality wooden furniture, air conditioning, Wi-Fi. There are rooms for people with disabilities. The restaurant “Menorah Grand Palace” offers dishes of both Jewish cuisine and other cuisines of the world. Additional services: laundry, dry cleaning, taxi, transfer, car rental, parking. Sholom-Aleikhema Street, 4. Phone: +380 56 717 70 01.

Hotel “Grand Hotel Ukraine”. This luxury hotel is located in the business center of Dnipro in the historical building “House of Khrennikov”, one of the most beautiful buildings of the pre-revolutionary Ekaterinoslav. There is a recreation complex with a fireplace, Finnish sauna, Turkish bath. Also, there is a pool (10x4 meters) equipped with hydro-wave.

80 comfortable rooms with air conditioning, Wi-Fi. The restaurant offers dishes of traditional Ukrainian cuisine and classic European cuisine. Additional services: a beauty salon, currency exchange, laundry, dry cleaning, gym, taxi, transfer, parking. Korolenka Street, 2. Phones: +380 56 790 14 41, +380 56 740 10 10.

Hotel “Astoria”. It is located in the historical building (1912-1913) in the center of the city. 22 bright and spacious rooms, Wi-Fi.

Additional services include a hairdressing salon, currency exchange, ATM, laundry, railway and air tickets booking, taxi, parking. Dmytra Yavornytskoho Avenue, 66. Phone: +380 56 376 03 00.

Dnipro city, Ukraine photos

Places of interest in Dnipro

Monument to soldiers killed in Afghanistan in Dnipro

Monument to soldiers killed in Afghanistan in Dnipro

Author: Vlad Krupskij

Bryansk (St. Nicholas) Church in Dnipro

Bryansk (St. Nicholas) Church in Dnipro

Author: Sichevoy

Transfiguration Cathedral in Dnipro

Transfiguration Cathedral in Dnipro

Author: Kulik Igor


Explore Dnipro city - The Palace of Culture of Mechanical Engineers


The comments of our visitors

R barnes
great city
thanks for a wonderful reflection of your city Will visit soon!!

Sponsored Links: