Krivoy Rog history
1775 is considered the official date of Krivoy Rog foundation. The first settlements were founded by Zaporozhye Cossacks in the 17th century. The first record of Krivoy Rog refers to April 27th, 1775.
Main documents on Krivoy Rog history dated back to 1734-1761 burnt in 1941: the car with the documents was bombed near Nikopol. Academician Vasily Zuyev who visited this place in 1781, suggested that the name of the town could mean “crooked cape” after twisting river-bed of the Saksagan where it flows into the river Ingulets.
In 1881, iron ore began to be mined and the town grew economically as well as its population. In 1919, Krivoy Rog became a part of Yekaterinoslavskaya gubernia. During the Civil War it was one of the centers of the anarchist movement headed by Nestor Makhno.
During the World War II, the city was occupied by German troops (on August 15th, 1941-1944) and considerably destroyed. After the war, Krivoy Rog was rebuilt partly by captive Germans and turned into an industrial center of the region.
Krivoy Rog views
Krivoy Rog features
Krivoy Rog stretches from the north to the south (from the north-east to the south-west to be more exact) for no more than 75 km (but not 120 km as a lot of locals think). At present it is the second most important city in Dnepropetrovsk oblast.
The city is a cultural center of the region, there is a number of Universities:
- Krivorozhsky Technical University;
- Krivorozhsky Institute of Economics of Kievsky National Economical University;
- Krivorozhsky State Teacher’s Training College;
- Krivorozhsky Faculty of National metallurgical academy of Ukraine;
- Krivorozhsky learning center of Odessky National Academy of Law.
Krivoy Rog is a large industrial center, a center of Krivorozhsky iron ore basin (Krivbass). Main industries: machine-building; food industry; chemical industry; concentrating mills; iron ore mining; ferrous metallurgy.
Interesting facts about Krivoy Rog
Krivorozhskaya street (named after the city) can be found in Moscow, Kiev, Dnepropetrovsk, Karaganda, Zaporozhye, Khabarovsk.
In early December, 2009, Krivoy Rog was visited by Jean-Claude van Damme, a world movie star. His girl-friend comes from Krivoy Rog and her parents reside there.
Krivoy Rog sights
Drama and Musical Comedy Theater named after T.G.Shevchenko. The theater, opened in 1934, is considered the main cultural center of the city. The building of the theater is a historical, artistic and cultural value of Krivoy Rog. Address: Krivoy Rog, Karl Marx Avenue, 23.
Puppet Theater. This theater was opened in Krivoy Rog in 1977. Although the plays are mainly for children of primary school age, some of them are worth seeing by adults. For example, the recent play “Pan Kotsky” is devoted to current political upheavals in the country. Address: Krivoy Rog, Dzerzhinsky Avenue, 19.
Theater of Musical and Plastic Arts “Academy of Movement.” The theater was founded by Antonina and Alexander Belsky as a family project. Today, “the theater of two A” as theatergoers also call it, resembles a modern European visual theater, combining elements of pantomime and circus, dance and music. Address: Krivoy Rog, Shurupova Str., 3.
Krivoy Rog State Circus. The circus opened in 1970 holds many events: performances of outstanding masters of circus, rides with trained animals, exhibitions, shows, and concerts. Address: Krivoy Rog, 22nd Partsyezd Str., 10.
Krivoy Rog places
Krivoy Rog railway station
Krivoy Rog administrative building
Transfiguration Cathedral. The cathedral was consecrated on July 16, 2003. The construction began in 1989. Address: Krivoy Rog, 30th anniversary of the Victory Square.
Local History Museum. The museum was founded in 1960 in the old part of the city. The funds of the museum have more than 50 thousand exhibits highlighting historical events and nature of the region from prehistoric times to the present.
Among the exhibits are documents, photos, works of art, nature exhibits, archaeological and numismatic material. Address: Krivoy Rog, Kaunasskaya Str., 16.
Movie theater “Olymp”. Good sound quality, comfortable chairs and a large screen, there are two bars in the hall where people can spend time before a movie. Address: Krivoy Rog, Meleshkina Str., 24.
Krivoy Rog Mining Institute. The institute established in 1922 covers the following topics: improvements of underground mining and quarrying technologies, ore processing, automation and mechanization of production processes of mining companies, etc. Address: Krivoy Rog, 22nd Partsyezd Str., 11.
Park of Culture and Recreation named after Bohdan Khmelnytsky. During the holidays, the park is transformed into a carnival, and for children it’s just paradise (inflatable trampolines of all shapes, sizes and designs; amusement parks occupying a huge territory).
The main highlight of the park is the fountain - the largest and most beautiful fountain in the city. Address: Krivoy Rog, Dzerzhinsky District, Metallurgov Avenue.
Pravda Park. The park was named in honor of the Soviet newspaper “Pravda”. It is a favorite romantic resting place of many residents of Krivoy Rog. Romantic setting of the park include “Boat station”, old arches, as well as bridges, which offer a beautiful view of the rivers Saksagan and Ingulets.
Botanical Garden. One of the most beautiful places in the city. It is located quite far from the center, on the northern part of the city. In the garden you can see the plants of different families, and even the plants listed as endangered.
In fact it is probably the only place in Krivoy Rog where you can get some real clean fresh air. Nowhere else in the city you can find so much greenery. Address: Krivoy Rog, Marshak Str., 50.
Ostrich Farm (Ostrich Land). This place is not just ostrich farm - it is the place for “green” recreation for the whole family. On the farm, besides ostriches, you can see other animals (sheep, donkeys, llamas). You can also rent wooden house, fish, barbecue, take a steam bath, swim in the pool, sunbathe. Address: Krivoy Rog district, Gruzskoye village, Shkapenko Str., 1.
Shale Rocks. These rocks are a natural phenomenon located in Saksagansky district of Krivoy Rog, near Artyom Square. They stretch along the right bank of Saksagan River between the mines “Artyom-1” and “Northern” for 250 meters. When you stay near the rocks it looks like it is composed of bricks of different sizes and colors.
Karachunovskoye reservoir. It was built in 1932 because of the construction of the Krivoy Rog Metallurgical Plant in Dnepropetrovsk region. The reservoir is a source of drinking water for the city. It is formed on the river Ingulets. Karachunovskoye reservoir is a natural pearl of Krivoy Rog.