Okhtyrka or Akhtyrka is a city located in Sumy region of Ukraine.
It is an important cultural, historical, and spiritual center of the country. The city is standing on the left bank of the Vorskla River.
Population - 49,000 (2012).
Area code - +380 5446; postal code - 42700.
This district is the major producer of Ukrainian oil. Light woolen stuffs and domestic industries production, food-processing (corn, cattle and fruit) are among the other local industries. Also, there is a brewery of Obolon CJSC in the city.
The settlement was founded by Poles in 1641. In the period from the 17th to the 18th century, it was one of the centers of Sloboda Ukraine, being almost as powerful as Kharkov itself.
Okhtyrka was the place where the first Ukrainian tobacco manufacture was built in 1718. In 1781, the town received its coat of arms from the Russian ruler Catherine II.
The bell tower of Vvedensky Church
Okhtyrka places of interest
The city is rich in various places of interest. There are a lot of buildings of the 19th century and several churches.
Local history museum
This museum, founded in 1920, is located in an old two-story building in the center of Okhtyrka.
The most interesting exhibits are personal belongings of the writer I. Bagryaniy, antiques, old photos, books on historical topics, theatrical costumes.
Museum staff conducts tours of the city and surrounding areas. October Street, 10. Opening hours: 8:00-17:00.
St. Basil’s Cathedral. It is the main cathedral in Okhtyrka. It was constructed on the place where, according to legend, the priest Daniel Polanski found a miraculous icon of Akhtyrskaya Mother of God in 1739.
The draft of the cathedral in Ukrainian Baroque style was made by the famous architect Rastrelli in 1753.
The construction of the cathedral lasted 15 years and was completed in 1768. The ensemble includes Vvedensky church bell tower (1784) and the Church of the Nativity (1825). October Square, 1.
The Bell Tower of Vvedensky Church. The three-tiered Vvedensky church bell tower is a part of the ensemble of St. Basil’s Cathedral. The bell tower was built in the Baroque style with some elements of Classicism. The church can be found in the first tier. Pushkin Street, 1.
The Church of Archangel Michael. This church of original architecture was built on the outskirts of the city in 1884.
This red brick church with decorative elements of Byzantine and Russian architecture of the 17th century resembles shapes of military churches of the early 20th century, that can be found in the Right-Bank Ukraine. Frunze Street, 216.
Transfiguration Church. This beautiful church is located in the center of Okhtyrka. The small church in the Byzantine style designed by the architect B. Nemkin was built and consecrated in 1905. Until 1994, it was used as a gym. October Street, 25.
The Church of St. George. Its history dates back to 1660, when the first church of St. George was built in the town. It was repeatedly reconstructed, and, in 1860, it was decided to build a new one.
The construction of the church lasted 45 years, it was consecrated only in 1905. In 1920, it was looted and closed. In 1993, the church was returned to believers. Kiev Street, 49.
Holy Trinity Monastery. The monastery was founded in a picturesque place at the top of the Monastery Mountain in 1654. In 1917, the monastery was closed.
It was used as an orphanage, and then as a military camp. The revival of the monastery began in 2002. Chernetchina village.