Sumy city, Ukraine

The capital city of Sumy oblast.

Sumy overview

Sumy is a city located in the north-east of Ukraine, the administrative center of the Sumy region.

The population of Sumy is about 265,000 (2016), the area - 95 sq. km.

The phone code - +380 542, the postal codes - 40000-40035.

Sumy city coat of arms

Sumy city coat of arms

Sumy city map location


Sumy history

People began to settle on both banks of the Psel River from ancient times. In the south-western suburbs of the present city of Sumy, the remains of the burial places of the 1st millennium BC were found. In the 2nd-6th centuries AD, Slavic tribes lived here.

In the central part of Sumy there are remains of an ancient Russian settlement of the 11th century, on the basis of which the settlement of Sumin appeared in 1652. Until 1659, these places were inhabited by several waves of settlers from behind the Dnieper River and the exact date of the foundation of Sumy is not known.

One of the reasons for the founding of Sumy was the political situation of the second half of the 17th century. In 1651, the Ukrainian Cossacks under the leadership of Bohdan Khmelnytsky were defeated near Berestechko, the consequence of which was the intensification of exploitation and national oppression of the Ukrainian people by the Polish magnates.

After this defeat, the Ukrainian Cossacks began to move massively to the region that became known as Sloboda Ukraine located at the borderlands with Russia, which was practically not inhabited before. “Sloboda” was the term for a free settlement without taxes obligations and “Ukraine” meant “borderland”. In 1654, according to Pereyaslav Agreement, the Ukrainian Cossacks swore allegiance to the Russian Tsar while retaining a wide autonomy.

More Historical Facts…

In 1651-1660, a large number of new settlements appeared on this territory in addition to Sumy - Kharkiv, Trostyanets, Lebedin, and a lot of others. In 1655, by order of the Russian Tsar, it was allowed to settle 100 families of peasants and Cossacks in Sumy. Some historians consider this date the time of the foundation of Sumy.

In 1656-1658, a wooden fortress was built in Sumy. In 1658, Sumy became part of the Belgorod fortification line, which protected the southern borders of Russia from the attacks of the Crimean Tatars and became the center of the Sumy Sloboda Cossack regiment. Thanks to the profitable trade route that went through Putivl to Moscow, Sumy grew rapidly.

In 1659, 1663, 1668, Sumy was raided by Crimean Tatars. Despite the sieges, the Tatars never managed to capture the town. In 1702, the construction of the Resurrection Church was completed. Today, it is the oldest building of Sumy.

In the winter of 1708-1709, during the Northern War, before the Battle of Poltava, Peter I stayed in Sumy. According to the legend, the inhabitants of the town, by order of Peter I “solemnly and magnificently” met the New Year 1709.

Since the 1710s, industry and trade began to develop in Sumy. In 1732, the population of the town was about 7,700 people. In the second half of the 18th century, in connection with the liquidation of the Cossack self-government, the Sumy Cossack regiment was reorganized into the regular part of the Russian army, and the town lost the status of a regimental center and became a provincial town.

In the 19th century, Sumy became a major commercial center. In 1877, through Sumy, a railway was built, connecting the town with Lyubotin and Vorozhba. In the late 19th - early 20th centuries, in addition to sugar beet and leather industries, metal-working, machine-building, sugar-refining industries began to develop. In 1877, the population of Sumy was about 15,500 people.

In 1918-1919, during the Civil War in Russia, power in Sumy changed several times. During the industrialization of the 1930s, Sumy became the center of production of equipment for sugar beet factories. Culture was also developing - a pedagogical institute, a museum of local lore and a theater were opened.

January 10, 1939, the city became the administrative center of the Sumy region. October 10, 1941, during the Second World War, Sumy was occupied by German troops. September 2, 1943, the city was liberated by Soviet troops.

Significant development of Sumy began in the 1950s - thanks to the considerable growth of industry: machine-building, chemical, instrument-making, food, and light industries. Sumy became a major industrial center of the Ukrainian SSR.

Ukraine’s independence has affected all spheres of life in Sumy. Local residents remembered about the great historical heritage of the city. In recent years, the restoration of the central part of Sumy is carried out.

Sumy views

Sumy scenery

Sumy scenery

Author: Michael Devichensky

Sumy view

Sumy view

Author: Michael Devichensky

Sumy architecture

Sumy architecture

Author: Michael Devichensky


Sumy features

Sumy received its name after the rivers Suma and Sumka which encircle it on both sides. There is a legend that hunters’ bags (“suma” in Russian language) were found in this area.

This legend is reflected in the coat-of-arms adopted in 1781. There are three black bags with golden buttons on the four-angle shield.

Famous Russian writers A.P. Chekhov and A.I. Kuprin lived in Sumy. The city was visited by the composer P.I. Chaikovsky, the writer V.G. Korolenko, the poet A.N. Pletsheyev.

Sumy places of interest

Churches

The Holy Resurrection Cathedral. This cathedral is the oldest stone building in Sumy. It was built at the expense of Colonel A. Kondratyev, the son of the founder of Sumy.

The building of the cathedral was a part of city walls; there was an underground passage to the river.

In Soviet times, the building housed the department of arts and crafts of the local art museum. Voskresenskaya Street, 19.

The Transfiguration Cathedral. This majestic church, standing on a pedestrian street in the heart of the city, combines elements of Renaissance, Baroque and Classicism. Sobornaya Street, 31.

The Trinity Cathedral. It is one of the most beautiful churches in Sumy. It looks like St. Isaac’s Cathedral in St. Petersburg, Russia. The cathedral was built in the classical style with some Baroque elements. Troitskaya Street, 24-a.

Museums

The Museum of Chekhov. The house-museum of Chekhov is open in the mansion of noble Lintvarevyh family (the 18th-19th centuries). In 1888-1889, the writer lived in the western wing of the mansion. The museum was opened to the centenary of the birth of the writer in 1960.

You can see the restored interior of the living room and dining room, guest rooms and “Antosha room” - Chekhov’s bedroom and study. Chekhov Street, 79. Opening hours: 10:00-17:00 (Thursday - 16:00), day off - Friday.

The Museum of Art. This museum named after N. Onatsky is housed in a building constructed in the early 20th century.

It was founded on the basis of nationalized private collections of art in 1920. Krasnaya Square, 1. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00 (Thursday - 16:00), day off - Friday.

The Local History Museum. The exhibition presents objects from archaeological sites of early Slavic monuments, rare exhibits on the history and nature of the region. Kirov Street, 2. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00, day off - Monday.

Sumy places

Sobornaya Street in Sumy

Sobornaya Street in Sumy

Author: A.Skrypnikov

Sumy stadium

Sumy stadium

Author: Valeriy Dudush

The World War II memorial

The World War II memorial

Author: Michael Devichensky


Other places of interest

Altanka. This small carved wooden gazebo, built without a single nail, is considered to be the symbol of Sumy. This is the only wooden building in the city, which was not damaged during the Second World War. Pokrovskaya Square.

Children’s Park “Fairy Tale”. The park is located in the center. On its territory, in addition to children’s rides, you can find fabulous buildings and figures of fairy tales characters. Shevchenko Avenue.

Kozhedub’s Park. The park of culture and rest named after I. Kozhedub is located right in the heart of Sumy. The total area of the park is about 58 hectares.

The park offers a lot of rides, regularly hosts various exhibitions, festivals and other cultural events.

Close to the main entrance to the park, you can find a modern stadium “Yubileyniy”. In the southeastern part of the park, there is a beach. Gagarin Street, 15.

Among the other attractions of Sumy are:

  • T.G.Shevchenko statue (in the park on Sobornaya Street);
  • The memorial complex “Eternal Glory” (Kirov Street);
  • The regional philharmonic society (Petropavlovskaya Street);
  • The buildings of the former Sumy cadet corps (Kirov Street, 165).

Sumy hotels

Hotel “Zdybanka”. This hotel-restaurant complex stands on the bank of the river Psyol near the beach. Comfortable rooms of European standard, Wi-Fi.

There is a restaurant (European and Ukrainian cuisine). You can find a cafe pizzeria on the ground floor.

The additional services include a sauna, swimming pool, parking, air and train tickets booking, dry cleaning, taxi call, conference room. Zalivnaya Street, 7/1. Phones: +38 0542 604 135, +38 050 407 08 44 (cell).

Hotel “Shafran”. The hotel is located near the center of Sumy, in a picturesque area on the bank of the lake named after Chekhov.

39 comfortable rooms with all the amenities: beds with orthopedic mattresses, climate control, mini-bar, satellite TV, Wi-Fi. There are two rooms for people with disabilities.

The additional services include a conference room, meeting room, business center, sauna, beauty salon, billiards, laundry, multi-currency ATM, guided tours. Restaurant “Shafran” (Oriental cuisine). Zamostyanskaya Street, 1/4. Phone: +38 0542 671 350.

More Hotels…

Hotel “Voskresensky”. The hotel is located in the business center of the city, next to the Resurrection (Voskresensky) Cathedral.

28 rooms. There is a classic restaurant with 40 seats (European and Ukrainian cuisine). The hotel has a sauna with a swimming pool, garage, parking at the entrance. Nezavisimosti Square, 15. Phones: +38 0542 67 11 71, +38 0542 604 502, +38 0542 604 503.

Hotel “Khimik”. It is located in the center, on a quiet street, 5 minutes from the train station. The hotel offers views of the river Psyol, historical and modern neighborhoods of Sumy.

50 comfortable rooms. There is a restaurant serving European and Ukrainian cuisine.

The additional services include a small conference room, sauna, swimming pool, Turkish bath, hairdressing salon. Pselskaya Street, 14. Phone: +38 0542 224 500.

Hotel “Pan”. The three-story building of the hotel is standing on a quiet old street in the central part of Sumy.

16 comfortable rooms with modern furnishings, Wi-Fi, TV, air conditioning. Restaurant (European cuisine). The additional services: parking, laundry, sauna, meeting room. Kuznechniy Street, 1. Phones: +38 0542 610 367, +38 0542 610 370.

Hotel “Jubilejnaya”. The hotel is located near the railway station, 10 minutes walk from the center of the city - Nezavisimosti Square.

The hotel complex consists of two separate buildings connected by a walkway. It has a picturesque surrounding area with landscaping.

78 spacious rooms, Wi-Fi. Deluxe rooms are air conditioned. Restaurant (European cuisine). The additional services: parking, beauty salon, sauna, swimming pool, gym, conference room, meeting room. Privokzalnaya Street, 9A. Phones: +38 0542 255 133 +38 0542 255 347.

Hotel “Reikartz Sumy”. The hotel is located in the very center of the city, on the corner of Pokrovskaya Square, at the beginning of the pedestrian area.

57 rooms of different categories with cable TV, fridge, Wi-Fi. Voskresenska Street, 1. Phones: +38 0542 222 520, +38 0542 685 501.

Sumy city, Ukraine photos

Sumy sights

Tank T-34 monument

Tank T-34 monument

Author: Michael Devichensky

Altanka - the symbol of Sumy

Altanka - the symbol of Sumy

Author: Michael Devichensky

The Holy Resurrection Cathedral

The Holy Resurrection Cathedral

Author: Michael Devichensky


Sumy cathedral

The Transfiguration Cathedral

The Transfiguration Cathedral

Author: Ruslan Kapral


Explore Sumy yourself


The questions of our visitors

Dan Bigelow asks: Is there an airport in Sumy?
Expert's answer:
In the city of Sumy there is an airport but it is in semi-abandoned condition and does not carry out passenger transportation. There are plans for the reconstruction of the airport and the resumption of its operation, but this is in the future.
Darren asks: Is there any Pentecostal church in Sumy?
Expert's answer:
I have found the contacts of the following Pentecostal church located in Sumy.

Sponsored Links: