“Seven Wonders of Ukraine” are seven Ukrainian historical-cultural monuments defined by All Ukrainian contest.
The campaign started in May 2007. The regional organising committees tendered about one thousand different objects.
The expert council, consisting of Ukrainian culturologists, historians, tourism experts, initially made a list of 100 objects, after it - a list of 21 objects for Internet-voting.
The final results were announced on August 21, 2007. The selection of “Seven Wonders of Ukraine” was performed in respect of Internet-voting and the expert council’s view point. About 77 thousand people participated in the voting.
Kamenets Podolskiy fortress
It is an ancient fortress dating back to the 11th-12th centuries, the main bastions were built in the 16th-17th centuries.
Kamenets Podolskiy defences are a vivid example of the best Eastern European fortifications. Location: Kamenets Podolskiy city.
Kiev Pechersk Lavra
One of the first monasteries on the territory of Kievan Rus’ state founded in 1051, during the time of Yaroslav the Wise governing. Location: Kiev city.
National landscape park “Sofiyivska”
It is a park and scientific-research institute of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, located on the bank of the Kamyanka River, in the north of Uman city, Cherkassy oblast.
Today, it is a popular resort place. Annually, it is visited by about 500 thousand people. The land area is 179,2 hectares. “Sofiyivska” is a landscape monument of garden art of the 18th - the beginning of the 19th century.
Kamenets Podolskiy fortress
National landscape park Sofiyivska
Saint Sophia’s Cathedral
The cathedral was erected in the 11th century in the center of Kiev under Yaroslav the Wise’s order. It was rebuilt in the Ukrainian baroque style at the turn of the 17th-18th century. The interior has preserved ancient frescoes and mosaics. St.Sophia’s Cathedral became the first Ukrainian architectural monument listed in the UNESCO World Heritage.
Chersonesos of Taurica
The remains of an ancient town founded by ancient Greeks on the Heracleus peninsula in the south-west of Crimea. Today, it is Khersoness site of Gagarin district of Sevastopol city. For two thousand years, it was a large political, economic and cultural center of Northern Black Sea region.
Great Khortytsia Island
It is the largest island on the Dnepr River located within Zaporozhye city, down the Dnepr Hydro Electric Station. Also, it is a unique natural and historical complex. The island stretches from north-west to south-east, 12.5 km long and about 2.5 km wide.
This fortress, located in Khotyn town, dates back to the 10th-13th centuries.
Ancient Chersonesos of Taurica
Also, there were three objects which picked up additional awards.
Livadia Palace - a monument of contemporary history. The palace is located in Livadia village in Crimea, about 3 km from Yalta. In 1835, a small Crimean village was renamed into Livadia (in Classical Greek mythology it means - a lawn, a glade) and a gorgeous whitestone palace with a landscape park was built there.
In 1861, the palace became the summer residence of the Russian imperial family. In February 1945, it was the place of the Yalta Conference with such participants as Cherchil, Ruzvelt and Stalin. Today, the territory of the palace is a world-famous cardiological sanatorium “Livadia” and one of the best parks in South Crimea (40 hectares), established almost 160 years ago.
Additional awards went to Ostrog - a spiritual monument, and “Pysanka” museum in Kolomiya.