CAT | Travel
The Museum of Folk Architecture and Life in Uzhgorod is an open air museum, consisting of architectural monuments of old Transcarpathian villages, and examples of the oldest and most common forms of folk arts and crafts.
The museum, opened to the public in June 1970, covers an area of four hectares. It is located near the territory of Uzhgorod castle (Kapitulna Street, 33/a).
Zhovkva is a small town with a population of about 13 thousand people located 25 km north of Lviv, about 35 km from the Ukrainian-Polish border. The town stands at the crossroads of international highways to Poland and the Baltic states.
Since 1994, the central part of the town has the status of a historical and architectural reserve. To get to Zhovkva from Lviv, you can take minibuses from “Lviv” hotel. The trip takes about 30-40 minutes. Photos by: Alexander Shvab.
Tags: Lviv oblast
Kharkiv is the second most populous city in Ukraine, one of the eight most populated cities in Eastern Europe. The city was the third largest industrial, scientific and transport center of the Soviet Union after Moscow and Leningrad.
In the second half of the 20th century, it became the main transport hub of South-Eastern Europe. Let’s take a look at some of the local sights from above. Photos by: Oleg Stelmakh.
Blagoveshchensky (Annunciation) Cathedral
Tags: Kharkov city
Roman-Catholic Сhurch of St. Clara is a truly fabulous building which resembles a medieval castle. This miracle of architecture stands on the shore of a small pond in the village of Gorodovka (Andrushevsky district of Zhitomir region).
Architecture of Romanesque and Gothic styles are closely intertwined in this building. This architecture is not typical to the central Ukraine, that’s why the church is one of the main attractions of the region.
Church of St. Michael the Archangel (1872) is a rare five-domed wooden church in the village of Lahodiv in Peremyshlyany district, Lviv region. The bell tower was built in 1854.
The church stands near the street leading to the water source, which is located a hundred meters from it. Single and dual narrow arched windows of the church look like loopholes. Services are held every week. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
The National Museum of the History of Ukraine in the Second World War in Kyiv is a memorial complex located on the slopes of the right bank of the Dnieper River on the outskirts of Pechersk, one of the historic districts of the city.
This is one of the largest museums in Ukraine (over 300 thousand exhibits). The museum is most associated with the 102-meter monument to Motherland, which became one of the most recognizable views of Kyiv. Over the years, the museum has been visited by more than 21 million visitors.
Syretsky park was laid out as a park with a children’s railway. Small South Western Railway (Kyiv Children’s Railway) is a narrow-gauge railway, and an institution of non-formal education in Kyiv, where children are trained in the rail industry.
The length of the railroad is 2.8 km. The trains (Tu-7 and an old German Gr-336) run between two stations: “Vyshen’ka” (“Cherry Tree”) and “Yablun’ka” (“Apple Tree”). You can find this park on Shamryl Street, 4. The nearest metro stations: “Dorohozhychi”, “Beresteiska”, “Shulyavska”.
Tags: Kiev city
In these days, Dovzhenko and Rakoczy streets, and also Pushkin Square, which are sometimes called Sakura Alley, turn into a fantastic Garden of Eden.
Tags: Uzhgorod city
Lviv, an incredibly beautiful and atmospheric city, is pleasant to walk. It has the largest number of architectural monuments in Ukraine.
The special charm is to walk along the old streets in the evening, when the lights are lit. It looks as if you are in a fairy tale, or in the past. The streets are especially beautiful after the rain, when wet cobblestone looks awesome. Photos by: Nickolay Khoroshkov.
Just before the thunderstorm. In the distance you can see the lightning.
Tags: Lviv city
Nevytsky Castle is located near the village of Kamyanytsya in Zakarpattia region, 12 km north-east of Uzhhorod. The castle was built in the 13th century on a hill above the Uzh River valley in place of an earlier wooden fortress.
In 1241, it was destroyed by the Mongol-Tatar’s hordes, but, in the second half of the 13th century, it was restored.