TAG | Lviv oblast
The wooden church of St. Nicholas in Sasiv village (Zolochevsky district of Lviv region) was built in 1731. Although, according to some sources, it was founded in the 15th century. The church interior is decorated with a beautiful seven-tier iconostasis of the 17th century.
The domes of the church, placed close to each other, are its true ornament. The last restoration of St. Nicholas Church, the monument of architecture of Ukraine, was made in 2008.
The town is known for its old wooden church of St. Michael the Archangel, built in 1754. It is one of the finest examples of Galician folk architecture school. The photos were taken by Maxim Ritus.
Tags: Lviv oblast
The length of Ukrainian Carpathians from San River to the sources of Suchava River is 280 km, width – 100 km. The total area is more than 24 thousand square km. The absolute height of the mountain range varies from 120-400 m in the foothills up to 1500-2000 m along the main ridge.
Podgoretsky Castle is a well-preserved Renaissance palace surrounded by fortifications. The castle is located in the east of Lviv oblast in Podgortsy village. Together with Olesky and Zolochevsky castles it forms the “Golden Horseshoe of Ukraine” (tourist route of Lviv region castles).
The castle is a square from the east, south and west surrounded by lines of fortifications. At the site of today’s castle there were more ancient fortifications mentioned in 1530. Present Podgoretsky castle was built during 1635-1640.
Olesky castle is the oldest castle that has been preserved in the western Ukraine. It is located near small town of Olesko, Bussky district, Lviv oblast. Olesky castle is oval in shape and dominates Olesko town standing on 50-meter natural hill. Photos by Alexander Lipilin.
The church of St Yur located in Drohobych (Lviv oblast) is considered the pearl of Ukrainian wooden architecture. Today it is a museum located not far away from the center of the city. The photos were captured by Serge Krynytsia.
Tags: Lviv oblast