Our expert answers your questions about Ukraine

Ask your question:

Your name:

Your email (optional):

What would you like to ask:

Most recent or choose the topic: Addresses, Adoption, Airports, Apartments, Archives, Buses, Citizenship, Climate, Costs, Distances, Driving, Economy, Education, Entertainment, Flights, General, History, Hotels, Immigration, Maps, Marriage, Misc, Money, Passport, People, Places, Post, Refugees, Relatives, Safety, Study, Taxi, Trains, Travel, Visa, Volunteering, Wage, Work

Questions and answers:

Gladys asks: My Ukrainian guests have had to attend the Ukrainian Embassy in London and Edinburgh to get their passports renewed. This had been expensive. The Embassy refuse to send the new passports by recorded delivery or by courier and insist they attend in person again. I am having to pay their travel.
Expert's answer:

Yes, unfortunately, in order to extend the validity or obtain a new Ukrainian international passport, personal presence is required.

You probably already know about this, but as a host you have the right to receive a monthly thank-you payment. Also your guests have the right to work in the UK.

Patrick asks: My wife doesn't have a Ukrainian international passport, but has the Ukrainian internal passport (Ukrainian ID Card). Can she use it to apply the CUAET program?
Expert's answer:
According to the official website of the Government of Canada, if the person is outside Canada, the person "can apply if you have: a valid Ukrainian passport or another national identity document." If the person is in Canada: "You can apply if you're a Ukrainian national with a valid Ukrainian passport. If you don't have a valid passport or your passport is expiring, you should renew your passport at a Ukrainian embassy in Canada." In this case, it is not clear if by "a valid passport" they mean only an international passport. Contact them directly to clarify it.
Saf asks: I fled the Ukraine war and I am in the UK now, but my family went on holiday before the war to Afghanistan but the Taliban have destroyed their passports an documents/ flight tickets, how can I sponsor them to the UK to join me.
Expert's answer:
There are some services offering transfers to Afghanistan, not sure about their reliability, check them yourself. The following article about Refugee family reunion will probably be useful. Official info about Family reunion and Support for non-British nationals in Afghanistan.
Lubov asks: Can I get on the plane in Poland to fly to Norway if I have non-biometric international passport?
Expert's answer:
I haven't found any information specifically about getting on a plane with a non-biometric Ukrainian passport (most likely there will be no problems, if the passport is valid considering the circumstances). You can legally enter Norway without a biometric passport, more information here.
Alyson asks: I am trying to assist my Ukrainian friend to get his children to the United States until things settle down in Ukraine. They are a 14 year old boy and 18 year old girl. They have made it to Warsaw. I've spoken with an immigration lawyer in the US and we have schools who will gladly accept them, so they can get a student Visa. The 18 year old has a biometric travel passport. The 14 year old has a biometric country passport, but a regular travel passport. That regular travel passport expired in 2020, but they are under the impression that it was extended 5 years. No one seems to be able to tell me if that is correct and whether or not the US will accept that for a student Visa. If it is not correct, is he out of luck? When I called the Ukrainian Embassy in the US, they could not tell me anything other than they are not issuing passports. At least I think that's what she said.
Expert's answer:
From March 1, 2022, the validity of passports of Ukrainian citizens for traveling abroad can be extended for 5 years. It is done by territorial authorities/territorial units of the Migration Service of Ukraine, as well as embassies and consular institutions of Ukraine. So he should contact the embassy of Ukraine to Poland to get more info about his case.

The comments of our visitors

J Gilyanna
Your Site

I have been visiting your site for almost 2 years. Your accurate, proper and direct information given to the people that ask questions is amazing. I myself have asked questions and received very useful information from you.

I have also recommended your site to my friends that are becoming interested in knowing about Ukraine. I would like you to know that we appreciate your candid help. Sincerely, Joseph

Sponsored Links: