CAT | Religion
Holy Dormition Pochayiv Lavra is an Orthodox monastery located in the town of Pochaiv in the Ternopil region. It is the largest Orthodox temple complex and monastery in western Ukraine and the second largest in the country after Kyiv Pechersk Lavra.
Berdychiv is a historic city located in the Zhytomyr region, 43 km south of Zhytomyr. The main attraction of the city is the Monastery of the Discalced Carmelites – a majestic architectural complex with defensive walls, towers and a Catholic church in the Baroque style.
Originally it was a castle of the Tyszkiewicz family who owned this land since the 14th century. In 1630, the governor J. Tyszkiewicz gave the castle to the Catholic Order of Discalced Carmelites after his miraculous rescue from the Tatar captivity. Construction of the monastery lasted from 1634 to 1642. Photos by: camrador.
St. Vladimir Patriarchal Cathedral (1862-1882) is an Orthodox cathedral located in Kyiv (Taras Shevchenko Boulevard, 20). It is a monument of neo-Byzantine architecture topped with seven domes.
The leading artists of the Russian Empire worked on the decoration of the cathedral. Today, it is the main temple of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Tags: Kiev city
Novoselytsya, a village founded in 1600, is located in the Vynohradiv district of the Zakarpattia region. It is famous for its wooden church, Church of the Dormition, built in 1669.
The uniqueness of the church is that it is the smallest wooden Gothic church in Transcarpathia. Its proportions are considered ideal. The church is made of oak without a single nail.
The oldest wooden church in Kovel, a town located in the Volyn region, is the Roman Catholic Church of St. Anne (1771). This church was moved to Kovel from the village of Vyshenky (Rozhyshchensky district) in 1994.
Today, in Ukraine, there are only two preserved wooden churches of the 18th century with this unique shape, which is more characteristic of the stone architecture. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Skoryky is a small village located in Podvolochysky district of the Ternopil region. The main attraction of the village is a beautiful wooden church – Church of St. John the Evangelist, an architectural monument of national importance.
The exact date of construction is unknown. According to the legend, Bogdan Khmelnitsky with the Cossack army confessed and took communion in this church before the march on Zbarazh. So it could be built in the middle of the 17th century. The church on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Tags: Ternopil oblast
St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Kyiv.
The monastery includes the cathedral church in honor of the Archangel Michael built in the Ukrainian Baroque style (destroyed in the 1930s and rebuilt in the mid-1990s), the refectory with the Church of St. John the Divine (1713) and the bell tower (1716-1719).
Mezhyrich Holy Trinity Monastery is a complex of monastic buildings of the 16th-17th centuries located in the village of Mezhyrich, 38 km south-east of Rivne.
This monastery is an outstanding architectural monuments of Ukraine because of its layout, composition, mix of secular, religious and defensive features, Renaissance decor. Mezhyrich Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Tags: Rivne oblast
Church of St. Nicholas in Sokyrnytsya, a village in the Khust district of the Zakarpattia region, is one of the oldest wooden churches of Transcarpathia, a nice example of wooden Gothic.
The church was originally built in the village of Shashvar (present Trosnik in the Vynohradiv district) in 1709. In 1770, the rebuilt church was moved to Sokyrnytsya. Near the church you can see a tall bell tower of the same year of construction.
Church of St. Basil the Great is the oldest church of the small town of Ovruch located in the northern part of the Zhytomyr region.
The church, a part of a complex of St. Basil Convent, is an architectural monument of national importance. The church was built by Prince Rurik Rostislavovich in 1190.