TAG | fortress
The most famous landmark of the town is the Ostroh Castle standing on a hilltop. The castle was built on the site of the wooden fortifications of the times of Kievan Rus, destroyed by the Mongols in 1241. Ostroh on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Khotyn, located in the present Chernivtsi region, is one of the most ancient towns of Ukraine. It was founded as a border fortress in the beginning of the 11th century.
Built near an important crossing on the Middle Dniester, the town quickly developed and became an important defense and trade center of this territory. Photos by: neo7777vitaha.
Budaniv is a village with a population of about 1,500 people located in Terebovlya district of the Ternopil region.
The main attraction of the village is a stone castle built in the early 17th century on the site of the burnt wooden castle.
Svirzh Castle, a unique monument of defensive architecture of the 15th-17th centuries, is located in the village of Svirzh in Peremyshlyany district of the Lviv region.
Built as a fortress, the castle lost its original appearance after the reconstruction carried out in the 17th century. Despite its advantageous location – on a hill surrounded by marshes and lakes – this palace-castle could hardly have a significant defensive value.
Pidhirtsi Castle is a well-preserved Renaissance palace surrounded by fortifications. It is located in the village of Pidhirtsi in the east of the Lviv region.
The castle has a square shape. From the east, south and west it is surrounded by a line of fortifications, a moat and ramparts. Pidhirtsi, Olesko and Zolochiv castles form the “Golden Horseshoe of Ukraine” – a tourist route of the castles of the Lviv region. Pidhirtsi Castle on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
The following watercolors were included in the fourth album of the artist Zbigniew Szczepanek “Zamki na Kresach”. It shows the 59 most famous fortresses in Kresach (the Polish name of the territory of present Western Ukraine).
About 40% of the objects show the author’s reconstruction, the remaining 60% – show the current state of the monuments. The images of some fortifications were reconstructed for the first time and thus can be considered a kind of unique.
Berezhany Castle in Berezhany, the Ternopil region.
Uzhhorod Castle is the historic heart of the city of Uzhgorod, the capital of the Zakarpattia region. The castle, originally built by the Drugeth family in the Middle Ages and rebuilt several times, is a mixture of architectural styles and materials of the 13th-18th centuries.
Since 1947, the castle is used as a museum of local lore. This monument is one of the most visited tourist sites of Uzhgorod and Ukraine. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
Pidhirtsi Castle, sponsored by the Polish Hetman Stanislaw Koniecpolski and built by Wilhelm Beauplan in 1635-1640, is a well-preserved Renaissance palace surrounded by fortifications. It is located in the east of the Lviv region, in the village of Pidhirtsi.
The castle has a square shape. From the east, south, and west it is surrounded by a deep moat and ramparts. The park, laid out around the castle, belongs to the monuments of landscape art of national importance. Pidhirtsi Castle on Google Maps. Photos by: alexdoomer2009.
Nevytsky Castle is located near the village of Kamyanytsya in Zakarpattia region, 12 km north-east of Uzhhorod. The castle was built in the 13th century on a hill above the Uzh River valley in place of an earlier wooden fortress.
In 1241, it was destroyed by the Mongol-Tatar’s hordes, but, in the second half of the 13th century, it was restored.
Not so long ago, Lviv received a new attraction – a miniature park of castles and fortresses. In the park, you can find fortifications once located in the territory of the former Kievan Rus and Poland.
The architect of these unusual buildings is Lviv artist Igor Kachor. It is a kind of reconstruction in miniature (1:50 scale) of ancient castles, fortresses, and fortified churches which are either completely destroyed, in ruins, or need restoration. Photos by Andrew Zhdan